• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering help

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you've hit the nail on the head. I'm making the drive tonight (200 miles) back to the truck to try to get her home so I can fix things properly.

My question... If it's the spider, what do I have to do to make it safe to drive back? Remove forward driveshaft? Remove axle shafts? Obviously the less I have to do out in the bush the better but I will do whatever is necessary.
Thanks again.
Just reinstall spindles and hubs but leave both complete axle shafts out.
Or make that trip with both drive flanges removed.
You don't have to disconnect the propeller shaft if you have the Air-shift TC.

G.

Heath_h49008

That would seem to be the easy fix. (pull the axles/hubs) If you had lockouts you could just unlock them and roll. The driveshaft won't stop it...

Actually, you only have to separate one side. The carrier can spin on the one just fine. You just can't have the front wheels turning at different speeds, and connected to each other.

EDIT: He's right... pull both axles or drive flanges. If something is flopping around in there, you don't want it turning.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, you only have to separate one side. The carrier can spin on the one just fine. .......
Sorry I must strongly disagree.... and say again BOTH sides!
(Think a minute... or do I have to explain...????)

G.

OOOPS, you were faster!

Last edited:

LV2XLR8

For anyone else who may run into the same steering problem that I ran into....
I did indeed blow the gears in the front diff causing one axle to push which was the feeling of plowing through a corner and not wanting to turn tightly and I assume the wheel whipping back was some sort of release of tension.
I pulled the axles and put everything back together, did the 200 mile drive back without any issues. Now to pull the front diff and see what I need to replace.

Thank you all again for your help.