• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering issue input needed

Rvitko

The steering box, shaft, tie rod and ends, leaf spring bushing, sway bar bushings, shocks, dampener, are all replaced within the last 2 years and the axle is a nos replacement mil surp. Tires are also fairly new and I had an alignment done when the tires were replaced. When I got it the steering was horrible, I could turn the wheel 90 degrees with no change at the wheels, it is now responsive and generally tracks true. The problem that persists is that the truck (m1009 btw) requires constant correction for banking of the roads, i.e. If you think of a typical road domed in the middle, Whatever lane I am in, I have to correct 1-2 o'clock toward the middle depending on how extreme the bank is. My hunch is the springs are worn and too soft? Has anyone experienced this?

Rvitko

Fwiw, I want to fix it as it can be frightening, I have had incidents on rural 2 lane highways where I come off a flat bridge onto a banked curve and have to quickly correct to avoid oncoming traffic, I have had plenty of cars in my life so I know some correction is always needed but the degree seems extreme and unpredictable.

dependable

Usually, "automatic lane change" feature is worn ball joints, improper toe in adjustment, in addition to tie rod ends. Sounds like most of that is new, assuming NOS axle had came with new ball joints. Maybe double check alignment and ball joints.

cucvrus

Axle U joints is my opinion. They are seizing and you are having to over correct to get back in your lane of travel. Check them out. Please report back. Thank you.

dependable

Also, with a the recent work, make sure everything is torqued tight enough, spring u bolts, etc. Steering box mounting bolts especially have a way of backing off if not tight enough.

cucvrus

Also, with a the recent work, make sure everything is torqued tight enough, spring u bolts, etc. Steering box mounting bolts especially have a way of backing off if not tight enough.
Very good point. cracked frame is not a nice thing. It is easily repaired. But still not a nice thing.

Rvitko

Thanks guys! U joints could be, it was a mil surp crate axel and it was covered in a red primer that had been a problem for the brake calipers, they would jam on the guidepins until I broke them down and cleaned and greased them. Everything is right to torque specs, that was one of my first thoughts. The suspension bushings are all new polyurethane. I have no lift, no crazy mods, I can't see any cracks and I have spent plenty of time staring at the underside changing parts.

dependable

The main place to check for cracks is where the steering box mounts to frame. The best way to spot it is to have someone turn the steering wheel while your looking at the box, otherwise can be easy to miss.

Chaski

Have someone check your alignment (or do it yourself). An "oversteer" like feeling when you give it a little input or the road crown changes could be a sign of incorrect toe in.

Get someone to sit in the drivers seat and rock the steering wheel left to right while you check everything out. That way you can see where the slop is (if any).

Rvitko

So, I got a full report from an alignment shop that was way more professional than the first one. It has excessive toe in and the pitman arm is not in the best shape, but not totally shot yet. I am going to replace the arm and then have the alignment done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks