• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

steering knuckle grease

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered a new greaseable sealed steering knuckle u-joint from offroadfabworks (should be here tomorrow). I know what the TM says but I'm wondering if there's any real reason to fill the steering knuckle with grease other than making a mess? I can't figure anything the grease would do for a sealed joint and there's nothing else in there to lube that I can see. Any thoughts?

chevycrew

I was just inside my front axle. If you look at the shaft, there is a spot where it rubs against the spindle, and also on the housing. I packed mine full of grease as I dont like metal on metal contact.

Some off-road guys are running these axles with no boots or grease in the knuckles, but eventually they start to grind on themselves.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: steering knuckle grease

chevycrew said:
I was just inside my front axle. If you look at the shaft, there is a spot where it rubs against the spindle, and also on the housing. I packed mine full of grease as I dont like metal on metal contact.

Some off-road guys are running these axles with no boots or grease in the knuckles, but eventually they start to grind on themselves.
Yes, I know what you're talking about. There's a bushing inside the spindle that the axle goes through. However, I you fill the knuckle full of grease till it comes out the hole ( as it says in the TM) it's not up high enough to ever get to that bushing. It might sling some up there but I don't think much would ever get to the bushing. Maybe I'm wrong? I'm not going to run without a boot and I may pack with grease but I'm still not sure the grease will do anything.

jwaller

RE: Re: RE: steering knuckle grease

that bushing id the only reason. now remember that when the grease gets warm it will begin to flow more like a fluid than the solid goop it is a room temp. other than that, no there is no reason to put grease in the knuckle. and I've been told by several ppl, white owl I believe, they dont put any grease in theirs.

Rattlehead

RE: Re: RE: steering knuckle grease

I never understood the reason to pack them either, as it would need to be more than 1/2 full to get to the thrust surfaces. Why not just grease these surfaces? And if the grease flowed that much when warm, wouldn't every wheel bearing we have ever removed be found with lots of grease at the bottom and less at the top?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got all my parts so I'm going to put this thing back together in a day or two. I've decided to add the grease back. I don't know who is right but I've come to the conclusion that grease is cheap and the military thought it should be in there so I'll put it in.
I read in another post while searching this topic that the older deuces had a different u-joint that was more open ( some type of CV joint I think) that required the grease. The poster thought that the grease was just a carry-over from the old joint but you really didn't need it anymore with the newer joints. After reading MUDLORD's post I'm a little concerned about the thrust washers ( although there is still debate on weather or not any grease will accually get up there).

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
chevycrew said:
On the grease note, which is the "correct" stuff to use.
I was planning on using NAPA wheel bearing and chassis grease in the tubes because I have a whole case of it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
emmado22 said:
You asked what the correct stuff to use was.. Not whats readily availible....
That wasn't me asking, it was chevycrew. I was just telling him what I was going to use.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
i use marine grease because my truck sees more water than most. i found the most effective way of getting the grease in the knuckles is to use the grease gun minus the pump head. i load a tube of grease in the sleeve and hold the open end to the knuckle and then left the plunger go. it forces the greas back in the knuckle pretty far. this of course is when the spindle is off and the axle is in place. i usually fire about 4 -5 tubes in . i have fit 7 in my mud truck before but i feel thats a bit much and anymore than 4 usually requires you shoot it in through the hole in the ball of the knuckle that has the pipe plug in it. 4 tubes is alot of greas and is just about everywhere in knuckle.

chevycrew

I used a 4 pound tub on each side when putting my front back together, same stuff NAPA wheel bearing and chassis grease. But I know there is still alot of room left in there.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
there is absolutely no reason to put grease in the knuckle. this is only for the really really old trucks that had cv joints in the axle. do you realize how much thrust is on the axle? somewhere between none and none. the thrust area and the spindle bushings get greased during periodic maintaince, or about once every 30 years. don't put grease in there!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tom, You're too late. I put it all back together today and used four tubes just like MUDLORD said. Take the head off the gun and squirt it in there. I did end up with a mess before it was all over though :eek: .
When I started this thread I was kind of with you about no grease but after reading some of the post they talked me into it. Oh well, I don't think it will hurt anything other than having to deal with it if I ever take it back apart.

Tranny Frank

The correct grease

The correct grease for the steering knuckle is a # 0 or #1 sodium based grease.

In the #0 form it is a self leveling ,semi-fluid, for cold climate
very soft in the #1 form for hot conditions

used in areas that are prone to leakage and where high service intervals can be obtained,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks