• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Pump Bracket Source

donalloy1

The notorious Power Steering Pump Bracket has failed on M1009. Have been told many times to watch for it. Well Sunday was my day. Searching for OEM replacement and so far Goose Eggs!:deadhorse:

Do any SSer's have a source that I can tap into? Existing has salvage potential, but would rather get one that has has not been repaired.

As always your assistance is greatly appreciated. DMLII sends respectfully

wayne pick

If it's the top bolt tab, you can weld it from both sides, I did and it lasted for a while. Then the slide adjuster under the alt snapped and I found a junkyard bracket off an 82 C code motor. Check out local yards, should be no problem finding one.

donalloy1

If it's the top bolt tab, you can weld it from both sides, I did and it lasted for a while. Then the slide adjuster under the alt snapped and I found a junkyard bracket off an 82 C code motor. Check out local yards, should be no problem finding one.
It is the top tab. Maint. Chief is running VIN through part system. Should know more today. Have a feeling will be testing my welding skill today. No problem. We will make bullet proof as possible!

If any other low lying fruit comes to mind please share. Thanks, DMLII sends....

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bracket is not available from GM anymore. Best thing to do is remove it and weld the tab back on. You also might want to add a light guage 'backer' when your welding it, make it stronger. I've had to do this before, not fun!

Good Luck!

Last edited:

wayne pick

If repair is the only option untill you find another bracket, weld gussets- triangles on both outer sides of the top tab. This way there is enough clearence to get a socket on the stud. As far as the slide adjuster goes, if it is split or broken beyond repair, cut it off the bracket and use it as a pattern to fab a new one. Trace the radius of the slide inside and out and transfer this to some 1/4 in flat stock. Drill holes so they overlap. Remove the remaining materal with a die grinder or wizz wheel. Weld the new slide back on the bracket. All this can be done with the pump on the bracket. Not a lot of work, just a PITA.

donalloy1

Repaired existing bracket by welding top tab back in place. Should hold me for a while +/-. She sounds much better now also. Probably been broken/damaged since purchased? NEVER been this quiet! Still need to contact Hawkman. Would really like a spare. DMLII sends.....:grd:

wired1000

This happened on mine and I had a shop weld it back together (top tab). The weld bead interferes with the socket's clearance, so it's a real PITA to get the thing down tight. Every couple months it backs off a bit and I go looking for that horrible rattling sound... only to find the same thing every time. Loctite helps :)

HAWKMAN

Repaired existing bracket by welding top tab back in place. Should hold me for a while +/-. She sounds much better now also. Probably been broken/damaged since purchased? NEVER been this quiet! Still need to contact Hawkman. Would really like a spare. DMLII sends.....:grd:
I have them if you still need one.....

dirtroadoutlaw

This happened on mine and I had a shop weld it back together (top tab). The weld bead interferes with the socket's clearance, so it's a real PITA to get the thing down tight. Every couple months it backs off a bit and I go looking for that horrible rattling sound... only to find the same thing every time. Loctite helps :)
Use a socket-head bolt. Tightens right up with hex key on a ratchet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks