• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Pump

The Baron

I'm looking for a new power steering pump for my 84 M1009. Anyone have any suggestions on manufactures, know if their rebuild-able, or where I could find a factory one?

cucvrus

Fits Your Vehicle Duralast/Power Steering Pump Price: $56.99
Core $21.00

• Part Number: 7068
  • Warranty: Limited Lifetime
  • Application: Without A/C
  • Notes: With reservoir
    Remanufacture
  • Just walk in and buy it. No waiting for UPS or postal package to arrive. I just put one on my Big Red plow truck 2 weeks ago. I kept the old one. Good to have an original core just in case. It was only $15. for the core. Re-manufactured in USA. Not that it matters but it was. All you need is the puller remover and installer. Good Luck. I always use power steering fluid. I never use ATF. It came from the factory with power steering fluid so I kept it that way.

rustystud

Fits Your Vehicle Duralast/Power Steering Pump Price: $56.99
Core $21.00

• Part Number: 7068
  • Warranty: Limited Lifetime
  • Application: Without A/C
  • Notes: With reservoir
    Remanufacture
  • Just walk in and buy it. No waiting for UPS or postal package to arrive. I just put one on my Big Red plow truck 2 weeks ago. I kept the old one. Good to have an original core just in case. It was only $15. for the core. Re-manufactured in USA. Not that it matters but it was. All you need is the puller remover and installer. Good Luck. I always use power steering fluid. I never use ATF. It came from the factory with power steering fluid so I kept it that way.
I also only use power steering fluid unless I'm stuck somewhere and need to top off my fluid. True power steering fluid has "extra" anti-foaming agents in it.

The Baron

I've been reading a lot of posts where people are saying the Duralast and other Chinese aftermarket pumps only last a year or two before breaking. Is this your first one or have you had success with them before?

cucvrus

Only thing I will say is you can please some of the people some of the time but you will never please all of the people all of the time. I work on many vehicles for many people and yes I use Autozone parts. I think some people could find dirt or talk trash on anything any time. So do as you wish. I am not defending or recommending any more vendors. Some people complain when their ice cream is too cold. The Autozone pump was not made in China. And you may find this hard to believe but French Fries are not french and Chinese food is NOT made in China.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been reading a lot of posts where people are saying the Duralast and other Chinese aftermarket pumps only last a year or two before breaking. Is this your first one or have you had success with them before?
You get what you pay for.
It all depends on your wallet and if you don't mind replaceing the same part over and over.

Im personally done with cheap parts.
Sure.....lifetime warranty. But what do you save if you have to keep replacing same part becaise it doest last as long as a better quality part?

When I first got my M1008 running, I used a 'lifetime" fuel pump from a chain parts store just to get it going.
200 miles later I'm replaceing same pump because it failed. This time I used a brand new acdelco pump and it's still going 5000 miles later.
No, the pump isn't hard to replace, but it is a critical part and I don't want to get stranded somewhere.

Get the best parts you can afford.
The highter price you pay now more than makes up for it in the long run. Especially the piece of mind on reliability.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a re-manufactured AC Delco one on Rock Auto. Amazon sells AC Delco too check both places.
Amazon carries a ton of Acdelco and Delphi parts and has free shipping over $49.
Excellent return policy.

Rochauto also has very good prices but no free shipping.

cucvrus

As I stated in the past and still state. You buy the same parts from differnt vendors. Same parts.
Thank You for contacting Delphi.

Based on the information provided you are looking for Delphi diesel lift pump HFP906 (Autozone CHFP906).

Regards,

Customer Support
Delphi Product & Service Solutions
This was a message I received from Delphi when I inquired about the correct OEM fuel pump. I bought the same part from the GM dealer with no warranty and was able to get the exact same part from Autozone with a lifetime warranty for $10. less. So comparing the 2 I chose the Autozone for price and warranty. And I must say. I put thousands of miles a year on CUCV'S with Autozone parts and have had no issues to date. A few motor mount issues because of the build sheet on the CUCV. and maybe a few other parts that were bad. But I like to call the store order the parts and in most cases get the part the same day or next day. Do a face to face deal have a contact and go that way. This internet sales is great but have a problem and you are a number and no more. The wait time is long and the down time longer. The remanufactured PS pump I bought from Autozone was made in Mexico. Same as the remanufactured AC Delco wiper motors and other parts. So what is all this bad mouthing about? We are in a one world economy anymore. Updating wiring harnesses from LMC which uses all Chinese parts and material. How is that an update? Just asking. I have many genuine GM parts. Many are imported. and a few made in USA. Canada made a lot of the GM stampings. Are they better or worse then USA? Also the glow plugs I buy from AC Delco. 1 set will be made in Italy the next Germany. They used to be all US made. The point is they work. You can pay top dollar for a sow's ear and you still have a sow's ear. I have great running vehicles. And not just one trailer queen. I mean running hard day in and day out. My money goes to quick available parts at a reasonable price. I have no time to scour the internet looking for a small savings here and a savings there. Time is money. And I get great results from my parts and vehicles. I have sold several to members here. They don't have any complaints. Peace man do as you want. I just wanted to clear the air and not scare people into thinking that they must buy everything US made. It just isn't going to happen anymore. We are all one. Coexist and be happy.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I stated in the past and still state. You buy the same parts from differnt vendors. Same parts.
Thank You for contacting Delphi.

Based on the information provided you are looking for Delphi diesel lift pump HFP906 (Autozone CHFP906).

Regards,

Customer Support
Delphi Product & Service Solutions
This was a message I received from Delphi when I inquired about the correct OEM fuel pump. I bought the same part from the GM dealer with no warranty and was able to get the exact same part from Autozone with a lifetime warranty for $10. less. So comparing the 2 I chose the Autozone for price and warranty. And I must say. I put thousands of miles a year on CUCV'S with Autozone parts and have had no issues to date. A few motor mount issues because of the build sheet on the CUCV. and maybe a few other parts that were bad. But I like to call the store order the parts and in most cases get the part the same day or next day. Do a face to face deal have a contact and go that way. This internet sales is great but have a problem and you are a number and no more. The wait time is long and the down time longer. The remanufactured PS pump I bought from Autozone was made in Mexico. Same as the remanufactured AC Delco wiper motors and other parts. So what is all this bad mouthing about? We are in a one world economy anymore. Updating wiring harnesses from LMC which uses all Chinese parts and material. How is that an update? Just asking. I have many genuine GM parts. Many are imported. and a few made in USA. Canada made a lot of the GM stampings. Are they better or worse then USA? Also the glow plugs I buy from AC Delco. 1 set will be made in Italy the next Germany. They used to be all US made. The point is they work. You can pay top dollar for a sow's ear and you still have a sow's ear. I have great running vehicles. And not just one trailer queen. I mean running hard day in and day out. My money goes to quick available parts at a reasonable price. I have no time to scour the internet looking for a small savings here and a savings there. Time is money. And I get great results from my parts and vehicles. I have sold several to members here. They don't have any complaints. Peace man do as you want. I just wanted to clear the air and not scare people into thinking that they must buy everything US made. It just isn't going to happen anymore. We are all one. Coexist and be happy.

Those parts work for you. That's great! Really
I'm glad they do.

They dont for me. That's my choice and my opinion.
I wasn't bad mouthing anything. Just stating that a cheap part failed and was replaced a good one that's still going.
I will take the hit for installing it in the first place. I was excited to get it going. Lesson learned

All parts are not created equal. They are not all the same.
That's like saying a ford pinto and a corvette are the same. They both have four wheels and a steering wheel and will get you down the road.

China is usually the worst.
The GM China parts have met much higher standards and are the exception. Not the norm.

The Italy parts and German parts especially are along the same line as USA parts.
I just installed s new acdelco cold advance solenoid and was marked USA made.

If your not in a hurry or have other modes of transportation then the Internet is cheaper. If not then of course the parts store it is. I almost always have to have them get the acdelco stuff from their warehouse. They mostly stock the cheaper quality and price point stuff. Well I can order the same thing for less money.

I buy the best parts I can afford.
That means OEM or equivalent. Somethings aftermarket if I know a part has proven to be of quality and will last.
It gives me piece of mind on reliability.
What good is a lifetime warranty if it leaves you stranded or have to change the same part three times in a year.?

Of course even the best parts fail, but the chances are much much lower than a cheap part.

Like I said before.......you get what you pay for.

cucvrus

I know the OEM parts are more expensive. I have quite a few that are discontinued. But the point is most people are not willing to pay for OEM parts that are discontinued. I just looked for a tailgate handle for an M1008 the GM part was still available at $147. my cost. The customer said no way. I had several OEM GM in the box yet. He did not want to pay me $100. for this new part. He bought an LMC and paid $40. for it. You know it still opens and closes the gate. Not sure where he would go wrong. But he chose that option. If it is something that is discontinued and you can not find OEM you have no choice. Like I said.Some people are not willing to pay for OEM discontinued parts. Others are not and seem to get by just fine. Unless I am going to take my vehicles to a show. And I don't and never will. The aftermarket parts serve the same purpose and make the same trips that the the worn out OEM parts do. But warranted for life is a great option and the chance to deal face to face with an actual person is also a great option in this automated world. Bargains are out there. But in reality if my sending unit is made in USA or China matters nothing to me. As long as it works. Like I saidI am a simple man and just try and do the best job I can. I have not failed thus far on most things so I will continue on my current track. I will not argue your points it is your vehicle do as you wish. Others do not have a bank roll to do the repairs. And I am fine with that. New vs used. If it is used and works I am all for it. Imported vs domestic if the shoe fits I will wear it.

cucvrus

Also would you have the clip,split,tubular GM part # 3889864 This is an oldie but goodie. Used in 1979-1987 GM truck tailgates to hold the rod to the handle in on the inside of the tailgate. So every GM LD truck had them. I need 4 of them. Please check. This is a copy of the email I sent to my local GM dealer parts department.
I had another incident today. It involved the clips that hold the rods in the tailgate handle. The LMC ones broke on installation. The GM ones are discontinued years ago. I was not about to remove them from the OEM handles I have. So I went in search. Old GM dealer been in business since 1920. No good discontinued. I looked hi and lo. No parts. Found some barr nuts Balkamp # 665-1457 BK line Barr Nut (533, W2 ,14) 16 per package sold as package only list $9.12 my cost $5.61 with the tax. They fit 3/16" steel rod. I took them out of the pack snapped one in the handle it fits the hole in the handle. They are made in Japan. That is fine they fit. I tried LMC they were sold individually for .95 each plus $10. shipping. I needed 2. But are these the same ones that came with the handle that broke? IDK. And I was not willing to risk. My little bit of time spent to get a hands on the right parts paid off. Regardless if it was made in Japan Timbuktu or China. It fit and done the job. I hear LMC being highly spoke of. Try their head lamp buckets some time. They are not even pressed with the counter sunk area for the adjustment screws. Autozone had them and they were countersunk . Both were made in China. I started getting my hands on every 6 x 7 head lamp bucket I see at the crusher and the YOUPULLIT. $2.00 each at the YOUPULLIT. Free at the crusher. Good deals are out there. Some more costly then others.

rustystud

Also would you have the clip,split,tubular GM part # 3889864 This is an oldie but goodie. Used in 1979-1987 GM truck tailgates to hold the rod to the handle in on the inside of the tailgate. So every GM LD truck had them. I need 4 of them. Please check. This is a copy of the email I sent to my local GM dealer parts department.
I had another incident today. It involved the clips that hold the rods in the tailgate handle. The LMC ones broke on installation. The GM ones are discontinued years ago. I was not about to remove them from the OEM handles I have. So I went in search. Old GM dealer been in business since 1920. No good discontinued. I looked hi and lo. No parts. Found some barr nuts Balkamp # 665-1457 BK line Barr Nut (533, W2 ,14) 16 per package sold as package only list $9.12 my cost $5.61 with the tax. They fit 3/16" steel rod. I took them out of the pack snapped one in the handle it fits the hole in the handle. They are made in Japan. That is fine they fit. I tried LMC they were sold individually for .95 each plus $10. shipping. I needed 2. But are these the same ones that came with the handle that broke? IDK. And I was not willing to risk. My little bit of time spent to get a hands on the right parts paid off. Regardless if it was made in Japan Timbuktu or China. It fit and done the job. I hear LMC being highly spoke of. Try their head lamp buckets some time. They are not even pressed with the counter sunk area for the adjustment screws. Autozone had them and they were countersunk . Both were made in China. I started getting my hands on every 6 x 7 head lamp bucket I see at the crusher and the YOUPULLIT. $2.00 each at the YOUPULLIT. Free at the crusher. Good deals are out there. Some more costly then others.
I agree about LMC being overly rated. I have bought over $1000.00 worth of parts from them over the last two years now. Some parts are great, others I could have done better at "JC Whitney". Also if I can find an after-market product that works better then factory I don't hesitate to use it. My Chevy truck has parts from Ford and Chrysler in it right now. I don't care as long as they do their job.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks