• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering wheel- A0 to A2 style

Ajax MD

So my new steering wheel and horn button arrived.

I'm replacing a very old green steering wheel with the newer, black style which I've heard referred to as an A2 steering wheel.
I have compared the wheel and horn buttons closely. They seem to be identical to my eye.

I replaced the steering wheel with no issues. When I install the new button, the horn does not work. If I install the old button with the new wheel, the horn DOES work.
I put an ohm meter on the new button between the tip and the metal body. If I press the button, the meter indicates a "short" so the new button works. It's not faulty.

As near as I can tell, the tip of the horn button stem must make contact with something metallic down inside the hollow stem of the steering column. The metal "body" of the button touches the metal center core of the steering wheel. The horn button stems appear to be identical in length (new and old).

I'm not missing some kind of adapter or something, am I? Why the heck would the new button not work with the new steering wheel?

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Do you have the springy round grounding clip (ITEM 6) around the cone / stem of the button, going into the post, where the packard like connector is?

You also have to get a hold of the center (female) connector down in the post, pull it up and out a bit to attach it to the button contact.

Doesn't just drop in.

Dat would do it, CAMO.

HMMWV-M998-Jeep-M151-Horn-Button-Switch-Retainer-8754125-5930-01-153-8215-Diagram-1.jpg

Last edited:

SLOrazorsedge

Did you take pics during the removal and replacement? I have 3 trucks with the old plastic OD steering wheels falling apart. I want to replace them with the newer A2 style also. What style puller did you use? Any info appreciated.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can also consider swapping to the Ford style steering wheel and column. It is collapsible and allows for a true column keyed ignition.

Ajax MD

@Milcommoguy Ahhhhh, very interesting! I looked down in the hole and saw nothing. When I removed the old button, no wire came up attached to the tip.

Well, I did fix the issue simply by tightening the steering wheel nut further, which seemed to draw down the wheel so that the tip would go further down into the hole. It seems that doing this got the tip into the female connection down into the hole. Now it works.

@SLOrazorsedge Although the TM calls out an NSN for a special, military style wheel puller, the steering wheel has 2 small, threaded holes on either side of the main bolt hole in the metal "core." These are compatible with any cheapy, civilian steering wheel puller such as this:

You might have to run to the hardware store to buy the exact bolts you need, in case the "universal" kit doesn't have them.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
@Milcommoguy Ahhhhh, very interesting! I looked down in the hole and saw nothing. When I removed the old button, no wire came up attached to the tip.

Well, I did fix the issue simply by tightening the steering wheel nut further, which seemed to draw down the wheel so that the tip would go further down into the hole. It seems that doing this got the tip into the female connection down into the hole. Now it works.

@SLOrazorsedge Although the TM calls out an NSN for a special, military style wheel puller, the steering wheel has 2 small, threaded holes on either side of the main bolt hole in the metal "core." These are compatible with any cheapy, civilian steering wheel puller such as this:

You might have to run to the hardware store to buy the exact bolts you need, in case the "universal" kit doesn't have them.

Well, you must have one of the newer wi-fi horns. NOW everyone going to want one. LOL

Really... There is a wire thru the steering shaft with a connection for the button. It plugs right in. The wire does not pull out far (just enough to get fingers on it)and make the press on fit with what looks like a butt splice. It is a "packard" like connection AND it is a real close fit to the bore of the steering post.

Might want to take a closer look. May have to grab a small welding rod, bend a really small hook to snag and pull it up and out. This is where the TM's come in to play. It's there in pictures. Also, you can see where it goes into the column side behind the dash. There is also a ground connection for the column.

Do it right and honk tonight, CAMO

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The loaner / rental steering wheel puller from O'reillys does the job and has the correct 1/4 bolts. My wire had a little slack and easy to snap the horn button stem to the wire. Not aware there was a different style button. My original worked just fine. Pictures of the puller and my install on my thread post 109

Ajax MD

The loaner / rental steering wheel puller from O'reillys does the job and has the correct 1/4 bolts. My wire had a little slack and easy to snap the horn button stem to the wire. Not aware there was a different style button. My original worked just fine. Pictures of the puller and my install on my thread post 109
It's not a different style. The only difference is a bugle embossed in the rubber. I ordered a horn button because the rubber on my old one was badly cracked and falling apart.

missionexpert

I made a video of pulling the old green wheel and put a new black one on last weekend. I used the old horn. Torque the nut to 35 ft lb if I remember correctly.

I used the AutoZone wheel puller they had but the smallest bolts they had in the kit were 5/16 and wouldn't fit.

So if you get a steering wheel puller you want the 1/4" bolts. I ended up going to local hardware store and discovered that the correct bolts to use were grade 8 1/4" ones. All the other bolts in the store had too coarse of a thread.

I can send you a link to the video if you want. Still editing it but should have it posted on YouTube tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks