• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering wheel stuck on

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Tap the holes to bigger SAE size, use bigger bolts.
Remove turn signal switch first.
And load the thing up with some penetrating oil @ramdough .
AND it will help to give the puller a love tap every now and again to help the wheel move. Tension and Tap (repeat as necessary)

For whatever reason - guessing IDGARA - the windows aren't regularly rolled up when the military driver exits the truck.
Rain or Shine, Windows Up or Windows Down, it just doesn't seem to matter with them.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Worst case if your not worried about the steering wheel your pulling off take a 4 or 4 1/2 in grinder with a thin cuting disc and put single cut straight up and down like the steering column in the steering wheel itself and try not to get too deep but if you get into the main shaft shouldnt effect it with just one cut then just spread the cut open and take it off

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
this is what I used .. .. since I was careful and sis not strip out the threads on the steering wheel.. took 1 gentle minute to remove the OEM wheel... the only caveat was installing the new after market wheel required 1 inch longer bolts than was included with the kit in order to reposition the wheel to have it "reasonably" straight as the truck went down the road... I'm sure retapping the stripped threads and getting appropriately sized bolts for the puller would work just fine

ramdough

Well, tried something else and failed.

53AB77CC-2436-4411-AA27-2EA5A7F53031.jpeg

I was able to clamp on the rubber around the turn signal cancel piece. I bent the bearing splitter.

I lost my nerve after a bit. I did some love taps with a smallish hammer.

I may use the grinder. This was an HI truck, so it had a few rust spots heard and there.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, tried something else and failed.

View attachment 879150

I was able to clamp on the rubber around the turn signal cancel piece. I bent the bearing splitter.

I lost my nerve after a bit. I did some love taps with a smallish hammer.

I may use the grinder. This was an HI truck, so it had a few rust spots heard and there.
I suggest a 3# hammer. Tension the puller, then hit it. Don't try to kill it, but give it a good thump. If that doesn't work, spray with your favorite penetrating oil while the puller still has the wheel under tension. Spray it every day for several days and snug the puller a little more. Be smart, tight but don't break the puller. Keep spraying and sooner or later with another love tap ot or two on the puller screw - eventually it will give.

I know you already know, but these trucks - even though they had windows in most cases - would get parked with the windows down if it was hot. If it rained, so what. The 19 year old driver didn't give a flying flip. If there was a turret on top, it had a built in leak. If it had a metal turret cover, it also had a built in leak. You are fighting stupidity and that takes time and effort. Slow and persistent. Penetrating oil, tension, and time... You'll win eventually.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks