• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering

tbeck

Hey Guys I have a 1028 I changed steering gear box now the brakes are locking up and hardly any steering if there is any gotta use to hands any opinions on what it could be thanks in advance

welpro222

Did you bleed the power steering pump? Could be air in the lines. If I remember when I did mine, I had to turn the steering from lock to lock several times.

sweetk30

special step by step to blead out a regular system . add in hydroboost its a few more steps .

and fyi best to jack up and support front end with wheels off ground to help turn wheel better till full blead out no air .

engineman2

Raise the front axle off the ground securely. Then ensure the power steering reservoir is full and turn the wheel lock to lock 20 or so times. Depress the brake pedal as you do this to purge are from the steering gear and the hydrobooster. Refill the reservoir if need be, a little overfull is not bad here as you will purge more air in a bit. Once this is done start the truck and turn the wheel lock to lock and press the brakes about 10 times. Turn off the truck. Check the reservoir. More than likely the fluid will be foamy in which case you should wait 30 minutes for the foam to settle. Top off the reservoir and start the truck repeating the bleed procedure. Continue this until the fluid is not foamy and you have good power steering! Any issues or questions ask away. Also, there is no need to smash the brake pedal when doing this, just press it with normal pressure.

Last edited:

rhinob

While on the subject of steering - I noticed that my hydraulic hoses need replacement. Any suggestions as to where to source them? Thanks much!

cucvrus

My answer. Autozone. Or have them made at a hydraulic shop. Any parts store will be able to get them for you,. Nothing special about them. Just tell them you have a 1984 Chevrolet K30 pick up truck with a 6.2 Diesel. Don't tell them M1009 or M1028 that will blow their mind. They will act like you have a special model and they have no listing for it. Stay with 1984 no matter what year you have. They were all built off of the 1984 blue prints. I hope that helps.

Last edited:

rhinob

My answer. Autozone. Or have them made at a hydraulic shop. Any parts store will be able to get them for you,. Nothing special about them. Just tell them you have a 1984 Chevrolet K30 pick up truck with a 6.2 Diesel. Don't tell them M1009 or M1028 that will blow their mind. They will act like you have a special model and they have no lisyting for it. Stay with 1984 no matter what year you have. They were all built off of the 1984 blue prints. I hope that helps.
Thanks! I'm on it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks