• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stenciling My Deuce?

David_4x4

OK I have a question about stenciling a M35a2. On the bumpers, which side gets designated what?

Here's what I have. I'm stenciling my truck to my dad's cousins assignment in Vietnam. He was A Co., 1/69 Armor, 4th ID. So how would I write this on the bumpers etc? Do Companies and Battalions get one side and Division on the other? Or does it even matter?

Thanks in Advance

houdel

The battalion/brigade designation goes on the left side of the bumper as you are viewing it (right side of front bumper, left side on rear), company and vehicle number on the opposite side. The Division is not included. Thus you would have 1/69 on the right front and left rear; and A-(number) on the left front and right rear. If you look closely at my avatar I have 2/181 on the right side of the front bumper and A-6 on the left side. This is my old ARNG unit, Co. A, 2nd Bn 181st Infantry (Mech). The numeral 6 is usually reserved for the Company Commander.

ida34

My unit during the gulf war was as follows

18th FAB ABN C-14
5/8 FAR

18th Field Artillery Brigade Airborne
5 Battalion 8th Field Artillery Regiment Charlie Battery Vehicle 14

We also had a red stencil of the 18th FA ABN patch on the upper passenger window near the outside edge. On the other side was a Centaur.

The drivers name was stenciled in black on the driver's side and the vehicle commander was stenciled on the pass side. Both were at the bottom outside edge. The commander was the ranking officer or NCO in the section or squad.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Army today would do it like this:

FRONT Bumper

Pass side
4I 1/69/\

Driver Side
A-XXX

BACK Bumper

DRIVER side
4I 1/69/\

Pass Side
A-XXX

The /\ would be a triangle, colored in, symbolizing Armor 4I is 4th ID, the 1 slash 69 is the 1st of the 69th. The A-XXX would be the Company (A) and the truck #

Hope this helps...

ida34

I almost forgot. When in the field we would cover the headlights and bumpers with old sandbags to obscure the numbers so the enemy could not get intel on our strength or movements. When we could not fit a sandbag over the numbers and the stencils we would just smear mud on the bumper numbers and the name stencils.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you get ready for stencils contact Russell Deese at 229-377-1528. He can make anything you might need............I have no relationship with this guy other than good quality work.

Chuck

David_4x4

David_4x4

liljohn said:
Bah. Well, just go to armyradio.com and search for TB 746-93-1, you'll find it.
Site seems to be back up now. I had originally tried goin to armyradios.com also, but I guess the whole site was down for the time being.

It's working now though and thanks for the link.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks