• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Step 2 Insulating the Cab

bob270win

It took awhile to get the time to start this little project , but I did get half the cab insulated and added some rubber floormat to it. I guess I'm a little more thorough and wanted to get it right . Here's some pics so far. I will be able to finish the project next week. since it's well into the 100s here and the work is done out on the street infront of the house . When she's done I'll post the rest of the pics.

Attachments

bob270win

The liner is called Zilla Mat , I used their 80mil thick product . The floor mat is just a stall mat that is 1/2" thick . Very sturdy and durable . Should last quite awhile .

Last edited:

jaxsof

Really great work, but you if you havent already, leave some provision to open the trans tunnel, just in case... Murphy likes it when you give him a chance to be difficult!

bob270win

Yup , that is a/c hanging under the dash . That was the priority in insulating the cab , keep all that engine heat outside instead of inside ! Had to think about how to get to things if necessary , you can't see it in the pics but the trans tunnel and master cylinder access are seamed to open up and have the access if Murphy so desires !

Woodsplinter

Bob, I have the same A/C unit from Boyce but haven't finished the install yet.
How is it working in our Az heat? Air temp, blows enough air? Also, any issues with the belts slipping/ squealing?

Thanks,
Mark

bob270win

Mark , the unit I got from Boyce , really pumps out some cold air. The problem with that is the cab of the deuce isn't insulated and has numerous points where engine heat(hot air) enters the cab . During this project I'm sealing up every little hole where that hot air can enter . You noticed the artic winterization boots for the tranny and transfer case. I think once I get the cab sealed off (even the windows are an issue) I will appreciate the a/c unit . I've had no problems with belts squealing and if you do , all you have to do is tighten up the tension on them just a bit ! . See you're up in Phoenix we should get the Deuce's together sometime. What other issues have you had with yours.?

Woodsplinter

Bob,
I'm also sealing up the holes (there's lots of them) and insulating with rubber and foam mats. Also replacing all the weatherstripping.
Haven't finished the A/C install but another SS member who saw photos of the belt routing thought we might have problems with belts slipping and not turning the alternator, water pump, etc.
Would definitely like to get together sometime & let the trucks "meet" each other!
Mark

Make sure you insulate the firewall.

I used the silver covered bubble wrap stuff in mine, and it worked wonders. to finish it off, I used 3M spray adhesive and coated it with OD canvas.

I went from driving with headphones and yelling at the passenger to no headphones and hearing my phone ring.

The only problem I had is that i did not insulate all the way up the firewall and that is the source of a lot of heat and noise. I was thinking about building a false wall between all the things bolted to the fire wall and insulating that. Have not done it yet.

Also, dont forget the back of the cab...and the door skins....

Insulating makes a HUGE difference

Attachments

Last edited:

bob270win

Mark , I've taken a good look at the belt routing . All I can say is the water temp stays consistent (on the road) and the generator shows charging !..Bob

Woodsplinter

Bob, that's good to hear-won't worry about it unless something happens.
Yellobronc, thanks for the input!
I disconnected most of the pipes/hoses/bolts going through the firewall so I could cover it. Fitting the material in place and cutting holes for pipes, bolts, etc., has been very tedious and slow but should be well worth it.
Covering the firewall & floors with heavy rubberized foam and vinyl coated foam on can walls & ceiling. Not sure what to do about doors. Any suggestions?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337887924.830781.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1337887944.527347.jpg

bob270win

Thanks Yellobronc, for your input . Mark , I need to get into the doors to skin the insides . The driver door is a little problem in that the window when rolled up doesn't align properly . Gonna get a new regulator and window channels to see if that works. I've got the hard top so there are some areas that need to be Zilla'd . Most of the rest of the hard top has a military style insul. pad installed . I really like the Zilla mat , it's self adhesive and simple to install ! All you do is cut it to fit and slap it on.

Sounds like the zilla stuff is pretty cool.

Its going to be darn nice when you are done. You are taking a lot of time to do the firewall but it will pay off bigtime.

If your doors are not too bad, I think there is room to spray adhere the thinner bubble stuff inside the doors. Cut the stuff, fit it, spray it, then put it inside via the panels at the bottom. Zilla may be too thick to work with inside the doors.

You might use that stuff and make door panels, mabye covering it with vynal, canvas, etc. Definately show more pics as you go.

I have not done mine, I am thinking about making panels, possibly covering them in canvas for the look.

I have seen people using green vynal...as well.

bob270win

Yup as the project goes so will the pics, I should be able to finish Tues or Wed next week ! I'm also hoping the Zilla is not too thick to skin the insides of the doors ! I'll let you all know !Everyone have a great Memorial Day weekend ! I've got to work Sat at the range , and Sunday doing a Field Day for Arizona Game and Fish ! Fly the Stars and Stripes and watch her wave in the wind !

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
for a while i was selling templates for the cab which included the firewall and don't forget the underside of the cowl. removing the dash panel and heater diverter if installed is not really that hard and allows a real good job.

tom

Woodsplinter

Tom, a template woulda been reeeealy handy because doing the firewall was a bit**!
Sam, I recommend doing it when it cools off- that way you'll have more time to "think" about it..LOL !
Not done yet but here's an update.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338938218.322842.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338938232.609345.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338938249.539979.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks