• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

sterring boxes ?

bowtiecrazy

I have a 87 m1008 i took for alinment i new tie rods draglinks and all, but the mech said the popin was from the sterring box, and thats is fine my question is OE rebuilt fine(it is a daily driver) or are there better ones? i just haul wood and gravel every once and a while this is my baby. i am workin on a budget just like all of us hard workin americans. thanks for any help you guys are the best place a have found for advice so far. :D

Westech

CPL
just get one from the local auto parts store. You also can check out the junk yards. I really have never seen one go bad and make a popping noise, just get loose or dump the seals. Have you greasesd the king pins? When the plastic cup brakes in the upper kin pin it will make a popping noise. I would do more checking before I just slam a steering box in.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have the cash, yes an OE rebuilt is fine. If you have time, the cash, and the knowledge, tear it apart and rebuilt it yourself. Never opened one up so I do not know what is involved. Another avenue is take a chance and pull one from a junker in a salvage yard.

bowtiecrazy

it stayed at the shop for a day new tie rods, draglink, alinment the mech check good he went over it with me and he said sterrin box is what he thinks it is.and this is a good shop in this town one of the best for frontend work. thanks for all the help ill post after the box goes on.:D