• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sticking Reconnection Switch

mrcarman

I'm having trouble with a sticky AC Reconnection Switch. It moves after some jiggling, but it sticks and won't move from selection to selection without the jiggling for a while.

I'm wondered if anyone has any suggestions.

First, how should the switch work? In other words, if it's working correctly, does it move relatively smoothly from selection to selection? For me, it gets stuck in a position, but if I jiggle it for a while, something in the switch releases and then I can move it to the next selection.

Second, regarding removing or accessing it, it sounds you remove the entire switch by removing the bolts from the front and rear, and it sounds like you needed to remove the fuel tank to remove the bolts from the rear. Is that correct? That's consistent with the assembly diagram in the TM. And then the switch has a ton of wires connected to it. Do you remove and mark all the wires when you removed it or just pull it out enough to clean and lubricate it?

Finally, what's the best way to service it once it's out?

Just trying to get a handle on exactly how to get this switch working smoothly.

Fortunately I can get the switch to move but would prefer to have it functioning without relying on jiggling and luck. I am going to check voltage today to make sure I'm getting the correct voltage from the lugs.

Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited:

jbk

remove all the bolts and knob and let it hang their. i tap on the bearing ends this losenes up the waffers. then flush contact cleaner through the cracks in the waffers and at all the terminal points, tighten back up. this has worked for me. when working correctly the switch moves smooth and snaps into postion. forgot to mention under the knob theirs a pin that screws in it needs to be removed also.

Last edited:

Triple Jim

From what you said, I'm not sure there's anything wrong with your switch. They're spring loaded, and snap suddenly from one position to the next. I have to turn mine a good part of the way to the next position before it snaps over to that position.

mrcarman

remove all the bolts and knob and let it hang their. i tap on the bearing ends this losenes up the waffers. then flush contact cleaner through the cracks in the waffers and at all the terminal points, tighten back up. this has worked for me. when working correctly the switch moves smooth and snaps into postion.
Thanks. I'll take a crack at it.

mrcarman

From what you said, I'm not sure there's anything wrong with your switch. They're spring loaded, and snap suddenly from one position to the next. I have to turn mine a good part of the way to the next position before it snaps over to that position.
The problem is it won't switch without me jiggling it for 30 to 60 seconds. Then something releases and it moves to the next position. When it does move, it does what you say: It snaps into position after moving a bit past the setting.

mrcarman

Just wanted to provide an update. I accessed the AC Reconnection Switch. I disconnected it but couldn't really get it to spread to the point I could spray contact cleaner into the middle of it. I created some smaller gaps where I sprayed some contact cleaner in. It seems some seeped in because it worked more smoothly. It's still a bit sticky but not like before. I also checked it with a multimeter and it is working fine.

Thanks for the assistance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks