• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sticking throttle shaft

Csm Davis

Fired up my 1010 after a lot of ripping out of wires and drove it about 4 miles then coming down the drive it stuck part of the way open, glad I had good brakes. Used my toe and it came back but the more we played with it the worse it became. Tried spray lube on the outside of the shaft on both sides but no joy. Any ideas? I checked the spring and cable, not the problem.

sierrajcharlie

My 09 did this awhile back. What happened was the throttle cable started to fray at the IP. I see you say you already checked it. I had looked at mine it but it wasn't noticeable right away. It started out just taking a split second longer to slow down when you took your foot off the accelerator. Then one day there was NO slowing down to it, in fact it kept speeding up. Lucky enough I had good brakes and a donor in the yard. I tore the cable out of that one and replaced it after my flying trip home. I'd check yours out so you don't have the same amount of excitement to look forward to. 2cents

Last edited:

dependable

I had a throttle cable that was binding because it was getting hot because a ground strap had rusted off. It only happened when lights were on, and current was grounding from chassis to motor though cable. Took a while to figure out, but I saw it glowing one night. That was on a '70 Pontiac, but it had similar throttle cable to CUCV.

Probably a long shot, but you did mention 'changing' wiring.

Smokingman

I had a similar experience with my 1009.Turned out to be the throttle return spring.The old spring felt to me like it was strong enough,but on the advise of a friend I replaced it.The new spring was probably twice as strong as the removed one,and the issue has not recurred in 2+ years.I picked up the new spring at a the local Chevy dealer for $11.00,but Dorman(59209)should be the same spring and is easy to find online for around $6.00.
[h=1][/h]

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could be mistaken, but I don't see any way to replace the shaft and seals without removing the pump. You would have to remove the intake anyway to gain access, and with the intake off, you might as well go ahead and pull the pump and send it out for rebuild. I had my M1028 pump rebuilt last year and I did all the work of removal and reinstalling it myself, and I had never done it before. It was quite fun actually, with the only tricky part removing and reinstalling the bolt through the oil fill hole.

Hope this helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks