• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sticky Brake lights

Lextreme

Hydraulic switch or air operated switch? Are you sure that the brakes indeed release fully?
I am not sure what type of switch I have but for sure it is the brake causing the lights to go on. I fast brake and and release seem to cause on/off and somewhat blinking. I can pretty much reproduce the problem.

cphillips

My M275 had the same problem but they usually stuck off not on. I have the air operated switch. Pulled the old switch off and realized it was full of crud, went down to the local heavy truck parts store and bought a new style air brake light switch. It was half the size of the original and totally fixed the problem.

Lextreme

My M275 had the same problem but they usually stuck off not on. I have the air operated switch. Pulled the old switch off and realized it was full of crud, went down to the local heavy truck parts store and bought a new style air brake light switch. It was half the size of the original and totally fixed the problem.
Nice fix.. do you know where I should be looking to find that contact switch?

cphillips

On my M275 it was by where the air splits off for the fifth wheel glad-hands. Im not exactly sure where it would be on a regular deuce but I'd guess it is close to the air pack. If you find it, take a piece of wire and connect the two terminals and see if the brake lights come on and go off properly. If they do its the switch, if not its something else. Attached is what the stock switch looks like.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to determine which switch you have now.

If you have an original hyraulic pressure switch, it may fail and cause a total brake failure.

The first step is to look at it.

Converting to an air switch is a good idea, but part of that process involves removal of the original hydraulic switch and plugging the port.

Last edited:

Lextreme

On my M275 it was by where the air splits off for the fifth wheel glad-hands. Im not exactly sure where it would be on a regular deuce but I'd guess it is close to the air pack. If you find it, take a piece of wire and connect the two terminals and see if the brake lights come on and go off properly. If they do its the switch, if not its something else. Attached is what the stock switch looks like.
Link is bad...

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure what type of switch I have but for sure it is the brake causing the lights to go on. I fast brake and and release seem to cause on/off and somewhat blinking. I can pretty much reproduce the problem.
It is really important that, when questions are asked with the intention to diagnose your problem, you answer them. For example, whether you have an air operated or hydraulic switch and whether you are sure that your brakes release fully/function normally.

Usually, people asking these questions have experienced something like your problem before and need some confirmation on details.

I misjudged the tone in my original posting. The above better reflects tham the quote below what I intended to say.

Last edited:

Lextreme

I realize that this is a forum and anybody is free to do whatever they choose. It has happened a few times now, and I am not trying to fire a cannon at you, Lextreme, that someone asks for help, an experienced person posts pertinent questions that need to be answered in order to give some educated help, but the original poster does not focus on answering and goes...."squirrel!" .... off into a random direction. Does not make one want to spend time thinking about other peoples' issues.
Why are you so upset? Did I say something wrong?

dmetalmiki

Disconnect the switch. If the lights go out , then check for brake pedal adjustment. Check lights. If problem persists Test for travell and free play again relating this to sticking master cylider or air pack. let us know the outcome/ solution.