• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Still have voltage with neg batt cable disconnected??

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all,

12 Volt systems I know, but I'm still pretty new to 24v DC systems.

So here's what happened:
Today I was doing the Doghead Under the Dash Starter Relay Mod. I disconnected the negative (which goes to frame/ground) battery cable on the front battery. Took everything apart inside, cut the wires, and was stripping the wires for the new connections, when suddenly to my surprise I got a spark!

So after this I got out my voltage tester, and sure enough the red wire had 24v. So I disconnected the cable between the front positive battery, to the rear (next to the firewall) battery's negative terminal. After doing this, didn't show voltage anymore.

I had to post this to ask, Is this Normal??!

I've never head of (nor can I wrap my mind around) disconnecting the negative battery cable, which should brake the circuit, but then still have voltage. Like I said, I'm still pretty new to the 24v system, so maybe this is why.

My next question is:
If I wanted to install a battery cutoff switch under the hood, which cable or cables would I have to install a switch into, to be able to cut all power to all systems?

Thanks Guys!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you search the site a bit, you should find several threads where we've answered these things before.

Last edited:

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I've done some searching, and from what I can find this apparently is "normal" for the system to do this. Which is still weird to me how it's possible.

Anyway, I have one more question. I tried to search and read through several threads but didn't find anything specific.

When I was doing the starter relay mod/upgrade, I noticed the two relay sockets next to it. I have read that one is for the exciter circuit on gen2, and the other is for the voltmeter.

The thing is, I only have one relay. The other socket is empty. Is this normal? From what little I have been able to find out about these in threads and such, and elsewhere, both sockets should have a relay plugged in, right?

Thanks!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because of the way the dual alternators are hooked up, you have to disconnect BOTH batteries to kill the circuit.

In a stock system, bothe relays are required for the system to work properly. One is for the voltmeter and the other is for the GEN2 exciter circuit.

Last edited:

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
System is stock except for GP resistor bypass.

Thanks for the confirm. I already have the relays on order along with some other parts. So once I get them, I'll go ahead and replace the one that is there, and plug the other into the empty socket.
Thanks Warthog!