• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Still having starter problems

CucvFML

Tried to start the 1009 yesterday and the starter wouldnt stop. Pretty common, so today I did the doghead conversion. Tried to start it afterwards and had the same problem. I thought ok, maybe i did something wrong. Took it apart tried it again, same problem. I need help.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Disconnect the large purple wire on your new under-dash starter relay.

Then, see if it turns over with the wire disconnected. If it still does, then your trouble is at the starter end. If not, your trouble could be your ignition switch or your relay.

Also, check the purple with white tracer wire(small wire) and be sure it only has 12v on it with the key in the start position only.

Report back

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the big purple wire off, if your starter cranked, your problem is at the starter(or in that purple wire). Others have posted that they have incorrectly installed the ring terminal at the starter solenoid, and had it touching the large battery cable, causeing the same issue you have.

You may have wires touching at the end of the starter solenoid, or an internal short. Time to get under there and look or drop the starter down to look at it.

You only had 12v in that small wire, when in the start position, correct?(you could have more than one problem)

Last edited:

epartsman

The problem you are having is minor in the grand scheme of things and with a little diag time following Dogheads guidance you will work it out. Even the most reliable things break just look at all the recalls out there for Maytag products. I wouldn't trade my 09 for anything.

Wolf.Dose

The correct location for the purple wire is the engine side contact. As Doghead said if proppably incorrectly intalled or covered with some connecting dirt there might be the change of an unintended short after starting the engine for the selenoid is based on two energy sources: The purple wire and the big battery harness. If the purple wire is somewhat connected to the battery pole the selenoid will not disconnect and therefor connect to crank the starter.
An other very reare possibility is, for the starter shwich obviously is not the reason, might be that the starter is not corrwectly fixed to the block and the forward mounted fastening bracket is loose or not installed (happens sometimes, raere case) This might originate the problem, that the starter moves to start to crakt the engine, however does not repull the gear from the flywheel, for the tolerance is due to not propperly installed old type starter is not given(might be also the shiming).
Wolf

CucvFML

Ok. The problem is not in the ignition. No power to the relay when the key is off, 12v when its on. The problem isn't the relay, can hear it click when the starter is out. The wires on the starter were not crossed, or touching. Taped up the ends to make sure that didn't happen. Maybe sollenoid sticking??

epartsman

Your solenoid is probably sticking and it may be time for a new starter. Is your starter covered with oil? Oil leaks will ruin one. If you need one the best and cheapest I found is DB electrical in Tennessee where you can get a brand new 24V gear reduction starter for $108.00 with a 1 year no hassle warranty and no core. I installed a new flywheel and starter in my 09 because the previous owner put in the old style civy starter which fused the relay (I did doghead mod subsequently) and tore the living daylights out of the ring gear. Think about replacing the starter making sure you shim it properly and that the support bracket is there and mounted which if it is not will allow the starter to cock and the bendix to get stuck in the ring gear.

Last edited: