• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Still Learning

Knucklehead

A Viet Nam veteran moved next to me a couple of months ago and he loves my 5T, even if it is Blue and red in color. He operated an M62 in the RVN. He is a nice guy even though he always has a can of MGD bolted to his left hand. I've let him take the truck for a drive a few times and he gets very happy when I offer the drivers seat to him.
Last week he asked if he could use the 5T to move a shed on his property. He wanted to use the winch to move the shed about 90'. It would be a 90 degree pull off of a sheave. I knew he did not want help so I said fine. SHOULD HAVE STOPPED MYSELF.
I let him take the truck and watched him from my yard as he set up the pull. My wife and I then went out for a few hours. When I returned I saw the truck and shed in the same positions as before. My neighbor was walking back and forth in front of the truck drinking his MGD, and looking dejected.
I ambled over. I saw he was crying and he started saying "sorry" over and over to me. The winch cable was knotted about 75' into the 150' length. BRAND NEW CABLE. The rest of the cable was spooled out onto the ground in front of the truck. I said we should wind the cable back onto the winch and loop the rest around the bumper. He looked kind of panicked when I said that. I got in the cab and put the winch in gear and heard clunk, clunk, clunk. Dead winch. I pulled all the cable off and made him coil and load it onto the back of the truck. I told him to leave me alone for a couple of weeks so I could calm down. Nice fella, but never again!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i283/vincentmaf/dad/peterspics002.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i283/vincentmaf/dad/peterspics001.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Man that sucks. I have learned the hard way too that if my equipment is needed, you will get a training course,or my direct help.

Knucklehead

I Like the guy and the fact that he is a war veteran, I figured he had done this hundreds of times before so what harm could there be. I am glad that he did not hurt himself.

derby

I have ben the victim of this generosity.Now I am very choosy who uses my stuff. Is that some sort of Boy Scout knott?

Knucklehead

I can not figure out how he got that knot 75' down the cable. The winch is toast. Even though I had a dozen shear pins in the cab he put a bolt in. The case is cracked and there are chunks of gear teeth dropping out of the bottom. I yanked it off the truck, a buddy of mine wanted it for parts. Now I have 2 70' tow cables.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
This fellow has probably used a winch hundreds of times - thirty years ago. Heck - I forget things I was doing a year ago! I suspect the shear pin sheared, as its designed to - and its about 5 bucks.

The cable on the other hand is darn near trash - it certainly can't be used as intended. My suggestion - install a shear pin, wind up the cable and drive to a wire rope firm. Once there, have them replace it, then cut the old one at the not, and have them turn it into two wire tow ropes with loops on the ends. The wire rope firm can swedge the eyes such they are as strong as the rope itself.

Your neighbor, in my view, should pay for the new rope - or at least a large part of it.

Sorry to hear of your problems - hope my recipe will help you make a little lemonade from this lemon.

Regards,
David

m.walker

I don't ask to borrow , and I don't lend . Just for those very reasons . If it's something small thats one thing but never my truck ! Sorry to here what happened . Did he even man up and offer to pay for his screw up ? When someone needs my truck I operate it and they reimburse for my gas , that way if it gets messed up I'm the one that done it , I know the limits of my vehicle . Someone with a beer can in his hand hardly ever will have their priority's in line with your's . This is another case of being a nice guy and getting screwed .

Outdoorbum

That does suck but we have all been there! We all are proud of our military toys and we like to see them work but we also must realize that these were not made for everyone. I use the motto when it comes to my truck: if you need it, I will help! Sorry to hear about the wich and cable. Look at the bright side, for a few grand you get rid of a person that may have cost you alot more down the road.

JDToumanian

The winch is toast. Even though I had a dozen shear pins in the cab he put a bolt in. The case is cracked and there are chunks of gear teeth dropping out of the bottom.
Wow, that SUCKS :!:

If I did that to someone's truck, I would pay for the damage. Even if I had to give him $100 a month for a year, I would do it. Maybe you'll get lucky and he will take responsibility for what he did.

Jon

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no problem letting folks take my trucks for a ride. When it comes to operating any if the ancilliary equipment, either I do it or the 4 yr old does. Just can't trust most folks. I will admit though, my core group of friends, mostly in Ohio can take my junk anytime, I trust them with my life. Heck, I piggybacked the M35A2 all the way to Ohio just so one of them could have it for the week. Lucky the dude didn't chop a head off.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 5-ton winch for sale w/wire rope chain and hook. With parts from yours you should be able to get it all back to normal. It's from an M656 8x8 but the same winch. Details in the classified section.

Knucklehead

I can not be too mad at the guy, he rates very high on my pity meter. He is a nice down to earth person. He moved in with his elderly dad, they support each other. Both have offered to pay for the damage but my wife will not take any money from them. She saw him crying and her pity meter took off.He was very sincere with his feelings, I could not make him pay and feel good about myself. I will go up to him when I calm down and ask" HOW THE @#$% DID YOU MANAGE TO DO THIS! Also my dad was career Army, 1938-1976, so soldiers rate high with me.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
man im very sorry to hear a grown man could do that much damage. wow that really sucks, i know the cost of the winch and the cable, has this guy asked you about the damage or the cost, i know you told him to stay away, but he could have his wife to call or call your wife or kids or something. i usually get in that kind of thing, after Katrina i used the winch on my m37 at sis in laws house, i broke the cable, but this calbe was toast when i got the winch so no problem, this remind us to not loan anything. the list goes wife, boat, MV!!!!

Outdoorbum

I know what you mean about the pity meter and as a former soldier vets have/get my full respect: NO QUESTION! My main issue is that (and thank God no one did) people can get hurt. I am sure he is feeling alot worse than you are. You can be a big man and talk to him (once you cool down), I am sure he needs it.

dmetalmiki

You Are a REALY GOOD (type of ) GUY..more like you in the world....i'td be a BETTER place..100% for attitude emotions and reflections. May YOU and your FAMILY have the best new year..and a truly successfull one...(ex brittish soldier had a tear jerk.....reading your saga..and considering BOTH your feelings.
(the two 70foots WOULD splice up fine..)but if you dont have a local firm to do it ..it does create an interesting challenging!and ONLY few hours work! good luck.

Knucklehead

dmetalmiki, very kind statement you made to me. Thank you. Although I am upset with the situation, a persons wellbeing is more important than money or machinery. I wish YOU and yours all the best.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks