• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

still questionable existing glow plug controller prob.

cucvdailydriver

I allowed a neighbor to use my truck while I was out of town. I returned and noticed he left the ign.on. When I returned home (3 wks )no power to wait, lights etc. I recharged both batts. Next am, there was power but starter making strange noise. I assumed a starter problem. I am no good at electrical/mechanical repairs on this thing, so I sent it to the shop. They told me the fron batt was still dead even after I charged it, and also was some evedice of arcing at post/mounting plate bracket area.2 new batts and bracket mods,it started... Truck started ok afterwards and got me home. Did not seem like its old self(slower to start) . Anyway the next day I couldnt get it to start. Cranked over great, but glow plug light did not want to go out,I did not hear clicing under dash and truck would not fire up. I took it back. I did research and had them replace my old plastic GPR with internally grounded S55 borg warner. They also replaced the GPs with 13gs . I dont know if they were bad, but It is starting on 1st attempt now. I dont hear audible clicking or whining inside the cab. I hope my GPmodule card is not bad, causing a slow burn up of my new glowplugs. I guess time will tell. Any info apprec. Keith, Dahlonega, Ga.

Michael

You do not want 13G glow plugs in your truck. They are what they came out with in 1985 and are obsolete. They will swell when they go bad. They will also burn out rather quickly if they are left on too long. I would use AC60G but some people prefer others.

acetomatoco

Maybe your new relay is quieter... you should see the glow plug actuation as a lower reading on your Voltmeter... I sure hope you thanked your neighbor for all the trouble.

cucvdailydriver

Well I did not want to offend my neighbor/friend also. He helps me out quite abit. Anyways I did not have confidence with the shop regarding military 6.2 diesels, that is why I did research on glow plugs and such. I assumed that I needed 13gs to prevent swelling. That is what I have read elsewhere. I will swap them out if I should. By the way I drive this beast 500 miles a wk. , past 3 years. I love it. Keith

cucvdailydriver

I mean I dont hear clicking or whining type noises from inside the cab. By the way I do apreciate the info given to me from you guys , especially since i rely on this as my way to work. I upset ,p/off plenty of people on the way, but I have no choice but to drive slow.I really want to keep this truck on the road as long as poss. Keith

cucvdailydriver

I just went outside to move the truck inside the garage, and noticed the glow plug light did not come on. I waited about 7 seconds and attempted start. It fired right up. About 35-45 temp. Very out of normal for this truck. Any ideas?

acetomatoco

Glow plugs must be working...put a meter on the relay 24V output and read it inside the cab. I think most folks are using the AC60 G now...With no wait light it would appear that there is a problem with your card or the bulb

Armada

Or maybe it was still warm from the last time you drove it and they didn't need to come on. Did your in dash voltmeter show any draw before starting?

cucvdailydriver

I just started the truck this morning and wait light did come on, so I assume it was still warm last time when I thought there was a problem. I do not remember paying attention to the voltmeter at that time, i think I was concentrating more on any sounds under the dash. I will keep an eye on the voltmeter next start.

tsmall07

Don't mean to hijack, but I have a related question. What does it mean if my wait light never turns off? The truck starts fine after I charge the batteries (they're dead from some power drain that I havn't found). Any ideas?

cucvdailydriver

Does it stay on even after the truck starts? When my glowplug relay was bad the wait light took a long time , but would eventually go out. Wouldnt start, but light did go out .as if it timed out.

cucvdailydriver

Well at least the truck is running. Do you hear noise, clicking or whining? Whats the temp outside. How do you know when to start it with no indication light. Is it a truck or blazer, not that it matters.Look under the hood to see if you have the old black plastic glow plug relay. Replace if so .I used borg warner s55. But my truck would not start when this piece was bad

tsmall07

It was pretty cold when I started it last. I want to say around 40 or so. Its a m1008. I don't recall hearing any noise at all. To start, I just turn to the on position and wait about 10 seconds. It starts right up with no problems (assuming the batteries are charged enough).

cucvdailydriver

Well at that temp outside I would say that your glowplugs are working. If its starting easy I would assume you are good. But I am no expert , only from my experience. Still for insurance check under the hood for that plastic glow plug relay. It is not quality. These guys on this site could probably pinpoint the problem pretty quick. I would submit an inquiry specifically regarding glowplug light and see what happens. Where did you find the truck. What do you use it for etc.

tsmall07

Where is the glow plug relay located? I'm not familiar with the truck yet. I got the truck from a local guy that used it to plow and tow. I'll probably be doing the same, but right now I'm using it to take up space in my driveway. None of the service lights are working and I can't figure out why.

cucvdailydriver

The glow plu relay is under the hood, to the left of the brake master cylinder. It has two large screw/studs which usually have a boot over them. If it looks like a silver barrel it has been upgraded. If it looks like a long plastic prong prodruding out it needs replaced. Again I dont know what these guys do , but I do know this from experience and reading forums. Keith

cucvdailydriver

When you say service lights what are you referring to. Headlights and such? Check the switches at left of steering collum near door. They can be confusing. You want the rt switch to be service lights on, Or all on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks