• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

still questionable existing glow plug controller prob.

cucvdailydriver

By the way. I need some sort of backup for my module card. The only place I have seen (memphis) wants 249 dollars. I dont feel comfortable doing the convert push button myself

tsmall07

cucvdailydriver said:
When you say service lights what are you referring to. Headlights and such? Check the switches at left of steering collum near door. They can be confusing. You want the rt switch to be service lights on, Or all on.
Non of the head lights, blinkers, marker lights, or tail lights are working. The switch is in the correct position. I've got a schematic for the fuses and I'm going to check them when I get a chance.

CCATLETT1984

OMG, IF YOUR TRUCK ISNT 12V, GET THOSE PLUGS OUT NOW!!!!!

They will swell from the increased voltage the cucv sends to them. The cucv runs the gp's through a big resistor on the firewall. It drops the 24v from both batteries to ~18volts and then lowers it to 12v as the resistors heat up. This design is to enable jumping the truck with two dead batteries.

You need to get wellman 070's, best place to get them is on ebay.
They are the correct plug for your engine.

If your truck has been converted to completely 12v, then you need to get AC60G's

the 13g's will swell, the wellman plugs and the 60g's dont swell.

As to a "backup" way to activate the plugs. at the top of the cucv forum is a sticky "Manual Glow Plug Install" read it.

CCATLETT1984

tsmall, if that light never goes out, you have a bad gp controller card. and if its always glowing the plugs it will burn them out.
If it comes on a few times just after starting the truck, thats normal operation.

tsmall07

CCATLETT1984 said:
tsmall, if that light never goes out, you have a bad gp controller card. and if its always glowing the plugs it will burn them out.
If it comes on a few times just after starting the truck, thats normal operation.
So if I do the manual glow plug thing, I don't have to worry about replacing the controller card? I'd really prefer to not drop $250 on that.

CCATLETT1984

yup. you can unplug the controller card after doing that. although some people's cards just stop turnning the glow plugs on, if that is the case then you can leave the card in and the wait light will still function.

surpdlr

cucvdailydriver said:
By the way. I need some sort of backup for my module card. The only place I have seen (memphis) wants 249 dollars. I dont feel comfortable doing the convert push button myself
I have them in stock for 149.50 plus shipping. They are NOS.

Michael

Here is what I did. I put a push button starter switch in a box I had and used spade terminals on the ends of the wires. I removed the GP card and pushed the spade terminal into the exposed plug. I did it this way so I could go back to the card if I wanted to.

You could also use crimp on connectors on the light blue wire and the black wire.

Attachments

cucvdailydriver

I am focusing on getting correct glow plugs, then will look into controller card issue. None of the parts stores have ac60g on hand, much less wellmans. Napa ordered the ac 60 and will be 2 days. I am having a hard time locating the gp controller card. when I look under dash on steering side I do not see any electrical boxes hanging down that resemble the previous pics. Unless its way up in there. I also do not hear any noise at all when starting. But is starting very good 1st attempt .

cucvdailydriver

I just did find it. It was tucked tight against steering column way up there. I also found a red wire which is almost cut in half . It is a single red wire under dash on the radio side. Maybe for the cig lighter?

Jersey4x4

I have Brand New not NOS glow plug modules for $175 with shipping included if interested.
And the CUCVs need the 70s in order to function properly, the resistance is important and if the GPs are wrong it will wipe out the card.

Also this is off topic but if there are any bad GP cards I am interested in them to mess with, and condition is fine.