• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Still Trying to Identify What Engine Is In My Deuce

rneely

I have a 1970 AM General M35A2
The aluminum plate on the right front of the engine block is clean except for this stamped number 3876200. The block has 11.6.70 cast on it. Any ideas as mfg., type engine, where I can look to id? It has a turbo charger, so is this a Continental LDT-465-1? Thanks for any help.

SasquatchSanta

RE: Engine Pictures So Far

Looks like a standard LDT-465 Multi with a C turbo and a thick deck (TD) block. The thick deck is desireable.

It could be a Continental, Hercules or White. They are all the same engine

jim-m35a2

I would have to guess the motor is a Hercules. Just a gut feeling. You do have a coolent leak. From the pictures it is hard to say where it is coming from, the fan blows the coolent all over the place.

Jim
________
Gm Foods

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DanMartin said:
Does nobody run a piece of hose on the end of the slobber tube?
I did, before installing the crankcase breather filter. Now the fumes go back into the air intake....
There is a PS magazine note on the slobber tube extension.

SasquatchSanta

Dan Martin wrote:

Does nobody run a piece of hose on the end of the slobber tube?
Yes. I put an elbow in the end of the tube and ran a hose back approx 30". I made sure that there was an incline so water/ice can't form in the tube.

It doesn't bo much good. A lot of odor still gets in the cab especially when idling now that I'm not running a fan. The other day the smell was so bad I crawled under the truck to see if I had a blow-by problem. I don't. Even when these engines are new they have bad breath. I'm going to install a breather like Bjorn did.

nattieleather

Yep he needs at least a 12-13 inch length of 1-1/4 inch rubber hose on that port if for nothing else to keep crap off the engine. I replaced mine with a longer length than was on it so it would go down past the axle and slobber on the ground. I like the idea that Bjorn did...wish I had thought of it when I had my truck.

nattieleather

Yep he needs at least a 12-13 inch length of 1-1/4 inch rubber hose on that port if for nothing else to keep crap off the engine. I replaced mine with a longer length than was on it so it would go down past the axle and slobber on the ground. I like the idea that Bjorn did...wish I had thought of it when I had my truck.

rneely

More Pictures TO Help ID this Engine

So far it looks like there is agreement that this is a LDT-465-D turbo. Manufacturer still unknown. Does the number 3876200 on the aluminum plate mean anything ? I need to get more light in that area because I think I see some more data on the plate but it is very faint.

Yes, I did have a coolant leak due to a split lower radiator hose . It happened on my way home from picking up the truck at the gap. Got a new hose from Memphis Equip. and made it home ok.

Where can I learn more about the TD thick deck block?

Attachments