• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stock Battery Crossover???

ems4ty

Does anyone have a crossover to any particular brand/model of battery that replicates the same size/shape/capacity as the OEM Military Battery?

I don't recall what the NSN is for the stock battery.

Perhaps, PepBoys, AutoZone, Kragen Auto Parts, Napa, Etc... Part Number?

It's for my 1953 Reo M35A2 Gasser.

I'm trying to find original batteries/replacements to fit in the OEM battery box with Hold Down Bracket.

Thanks for the help!

dabtl

I got mine at O'Reilly Auto Parts in about one day. 6TL batteries. I paid $270 for two, tax included. They may be cheaper elsewhere.

acetomatoco

6TL or 6TN is the group...Sometimes Interstate has them for a good price.. I normally just use two little walmart batteries in mine..

dabtl

I started to do that, but decided why not just for once have real MV batteries? They look real nice, when you look.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The green military batteries are by Interstate, part# U6TL-VHD. I paid $160 each, new, with core. I think they were $160.00 each even w/o core. I might've gotten them cheaper somewhere else, but for the Interstate battery, I had to go to an Interstate dealer/distributor. I didn't have any other options at the time. The seller sets his price at that point. They came with, ("they say"), 80% charge on them from the store. I put a charger on them for a night (each), and brought them all the way up. I recommend this. The batteries appreciated it, too. In my motor pool, military trucks get military batteries. I think they pay off.

Michael

green military batteries are by Interstate, part# U6TL-VHD
Do these have any warranty? Anybody tried to collect on it?

I have two that came in a M1009 I just got from GL that have Jan and 05 punched out. I was thinking about seeing if I could get any off on new ones.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do these have any warranty? Anybody tried to collect on it?

I have two that came in a M1009 I just got from GL that have Jan and 05 punched out. I was thinking about seeing if I could get any off on new ones.
I spoke to my Interstate Battery dealer. He did say that the warranty is honored on the battery, regardless of whether or not you were the actual purchaser. (And who knows, you might have lost your paperwork and wouldn't have documentation to prove you were the original buyer anyway).

He also told me that the warranty on the military battery, p/n U6TL-VHD is a 12 month warranty. Free replacement for the first 6 months and pro-rated after that for up to the "year" mark. I asked why such a strong battery had such a limited warranty, and he said that, "because it is used commercially so much, it is considered an 'abused' battery." I know SS do not abuse batteries :jumpin: , but the commercial industry has done it to us. :roll:

ems4ty

Thanks for all the feedback! I have to smaller car batteries sitting in my battery box with no real way to tie them down. Hence the reason for the OEM style batteries. I have the hold down top plates and hooks. Just need to find the nuts and washers (No big deal though.) Anyways, thanks again for the quick responses!

Michael

I guess I am out of luck on the warranty.

I have heard of a GI issue adapter for the spiral batteries. They are better batteries than the 6TL and have a better warranty to. Plus they are a common car battery size so I would think you could substitute a cheaper battery if you wanted to. I found this on the net:

The NSN for the OPTIMA is 6140-01-374-2243, unit cost is $109.50 each. The OPTIMA battery is smaller than the standard 6T batteries and does not fit in the standard battery trays in generators. Use NSN 6160-01-456-0858 to order a battery tray adapter.
http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cach...clnk&cd=1&gl=us&lr=lang_en&client=netscape-pp

littlebob

Found two tan ones locally at Wholesale Battery, for $130.00 EA. I don't know if it is a chain store or not,but they had the cheapest prices locallly and were the only battery place in town that had them in stock.
littlebob

houdel

I got a new Interstate p/n U6TL "Workaholic" (without the -VHD) from a local repair shop for about $105.00. Go to the Interstate web site and use the dealer locater feature. Call every dealer on the list and ask for a price. I got quotes from $105 to $160 per battery. NAPA also carries a U6TL, but judging from the price it uses solid gold plates instead of the more common lead plates. Anyone know what the "-VHD" in the Interstate battery numbers refer to? My truck came with a pair of almost new DeKa 6TL-MF batteries, but one had a dead cell. The MF stands for "Maintenance Free", or so it says on the battery, but they still have 6 fill caps so you can check the specific of each cell and add DISTILLED water if needed (which my DeKa battery needed) so what is the point of "Maintenance Free"?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks