• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stock CUCV rim colour

Cletus09

I did a search (I'll admit I didn't spend tons of time looking) and could not find what I was looking for... I would like to know what color the rims on my m1009 were originally. My cucv is one of the forest green patterns (there are at least two forest patterns I think, but not sure which one it is) with OD as the base color. Currently the rims are black with traces of a dark green color, but its not OD. I have seen cucvs with all black rims and I have seen cucvs with OD rims. I would like to know what color I should use to keep it as close to original as possible.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With spinners:doghead:

More than likely they where black from the rim factory and then painted OD at the GM plant when the truck was painted.

They have been painted black, green, tan or what every the GIs had at the time.

sandcobra164

I have paperwork (original build sheet from GM) on my NOS M1028 that suggests the truck left GM completely 383 Green and was painted shortly thereafter NATO Tri Color by the Marines. I'd have to guess that GM didn't paint these trucks tricolor and the rims used to be green. They are black now with no help from me. When I get home in a week, I may just scrape one to see!!

Cletus09

Thank you all for your input... I have finally decided that a nice set of 30 inch spinners with 35's on them. However, now I question whether or not these wheels will hold up to the stress of my offroading trips and towing needs... Anybody know? Actually I think the next time I change tires (probably next summer) I will stick the rims in the blasting cabinet at work and then paint the either black, 383 green, or OD... I just can't decide which one... :)

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a dumb question---What does the manual say???? I am pretty sure IIRC they are Black.:shock:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They came black. Where they got different colors remains up for debate. Break down a tire and check the inside of the rim. It's either black or repainted. With that said, few trucks remained as they came off the line. Do you want original as assembled or original as used by the DOD agency of record.

salt6

Ive got one I'm cleaning up now and it's black on the inside. It's also black under the green on the outside and black on the hub side.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ive got one I'm cleaning up now and it's black on the inside. It's also black under the green on the outside and black on the hub side.
The manual definately shows they were black. (just verified):doghead:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks