• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stock Fuel Setting for a 8.3 6CTA

TCD

Howdy,

I have a new to me 923A2 and I have shade tree mechanical skills at best and virtually no diesel skills at all!

When I got my truck the previous owner told me that "maybe the guy he bought the truck from turned up the fuel".

I have read all of the threads I could find relating to turning up the fuel and they all seem to assume that you are starting from a "stock" condition.

I do not need/want to have more power given my intended use in the wilds of NV and I do need the best possible fuel mileage I can reasonably get from the truck.

So my questions are:

1 - How do I determine if the fuel has been turned up in my truck?

2 - How do I accurately reset my truck to the stock settings?

I am planning on installing an EGT gauge for general monitoring as this has proven useful on my Ford diesel F350.

All info Greatly Appreciated!

Thanks,
tom n tyler

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it has mildly turned up, leave it. Mine is only about half way and the only thing it did was help. They are dogs at the bottom end without it. If you are used to it and turn it down, you will feel like you are dragging a brake.

I have driven mine all over the east from NY to GA including towing my deuce 750 miles with no ill effects and excellent fuel mileage.

Just my 2 cents but I would never detune this to stock.

TCD

Thanks for the feedback wheelspinner!

Given your experience I think I will install boost and EGT gauges before changing anything.

If everything looks good while I'm out and about then I'll just work on other todo's and be happy with what I have!

Happy Trails,
tom n tyler

Last edited:

74M35A2

If your full throttle EGT does not exceed 1000F, it is likely not turned up, or at least not that far. Increasing the max fuel metering will not really hurt your mileage unless you are using all of the throttle pedal travel. For just cruising at speed, the fuel rack does not travel to it's stop limit (unless going uphill).

TCD

Howdy 74M35A2,

I think the EGT and boost gauges should tell the tail and if everything looks good then I'm a happy guy. The truck runs very well but I have no basis for comparison nor enough miles to calculate the MPG.

Since this truck (1990) is pre low sulfur do most folks run a fuel additive? In Northern NV I will run an additive in the winter but not sure if it helps or is needed the other three seasons...

Once I get the gauges installed I'll post here what ever I find out when running down the road.

Thanks for the comments!

Happy Trails,
tom n tyler

MtnSnow

I personally filter my waste oil and then pour it in the tank for additional lube (usually 5gals oil to a almost full tank of ULSD) or when I don't have oil prepared I typically add some PowerService additive.

74M35A2

This thread is attempting to change direction, but regarding diesel fuel additive, I think there are several available, and for various reasons. There is gelling preventer (white PS bottle), there is gelling dissolver (red "emergency" PS bottle), there is algaecide (white PS bottle, w/green lettering?), and then I think there is a supposed "lubricator" version in the gray bottle, though it's description of such is pretty vague. I believe both gelling additives contain high amounts of alcohol, and can actually damage injection pumps when used. I just use conventional on and off road diesel fuel, untreated, and keep filters in like new condition by changing them once per year regardless of mileage. I have put 7000 miles on my 925A2 so far this way across 2-3 years with no fuel issues, besides running out. I have drained my fuel tank via the removable plug once to make sure the bottom was clean. Replaced defective fuel level sender (float), rubber flex hoses to primary canister filter and to lift pump, and replaced engine mounted mechanical lift pump as preventative maintenance. I now keep 10 gallons of diesel on board as spare.

Csm Davis

This thread is attempting to change direction, but regarding diesel fuel additive, I think there are several available, and for various reasons. There is gelling preventer (white PS bottle), there is gelling dissolver (red "emergency" PS bottle), there is algaecide (white PS bottle, w/green lettering?), and then I think there is a supposed "lubricator" version in the gray bottle, though it's description of such is pretty vague. I believe both gelling additives contain high amounts of alcohol, and can actually damage injection pumps when used. I just use conventional on and off road diesel fuel, untreated, and keep filters in like new condition by changing them once per year regardless of mileage. I have put 7000 miles on my 925A2 so far this way across 2-3 years with no fuel issues, besides running out. I have drained my fuel tank via the removable plug once to make sure the bottom was clean. Replaced defective fuel level sender (float), rubber flex hoses to primary canister filter and to lift pump, and replaced engine mounted mechanical lift pump as preventative maintenance. I now keep 10 gallons of diesel on board as spare.
I agree with 74M35A2 about the gelling additives, but I do like to run a quart of 2 stroke in mine all it adds is lubrication and is made to be burned, and the tank before I change the filters I add a gallon or two of good biodiesel it also lubricates and it will clean the inside of your system extremely well.

sent from my decrepit fingers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks