• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stock Steelies Larger Dia. Tire

What is the M1008 stock steel wheel diameter, width and offset? What is stock tire size? What larger tire sizes would fit the stock steelies and fit in the wheel wells? I'm trying to keep to narrow sizes, also any (snow tire) suggestions for those who drive in the white stuff? I'm in north west (rural) NJ (many hills) and my driveway is verrry steep. I have found out the (hard way) that narrow tires are your friend in the snow(on paved roads). Anybody have experience with helical lsd like the truetrac in the front dana 60? Our Wrangler runs them both front and rear and they work without any drama. I know the M1008 is a different animal.
I'm looking to lower hwy rpm without having to modify suspension items or change out trans, wheels, gears or ad od. Tire diameter increase would be my only option.
Trimming a lil'metal is ok as long as it's not something drastic.
This vehicle will be daily driven mostly around town. However I'd like to be able to drive it to work (1 hr hwy each way) without having it run high rpms for long periods.
I'm new to the site and find the people here very informative, helpful and polite(rare thing nowadays). Thanx in advance.-George

12vctd

The rims are 16 by 8 inches wide. I had really good luck with a set of 34x10.50 Super swamper LTB's on my truck when I was in Alaska, I mounted these without any lift and they did great in the snow, but since they didn't have any siping(sp?) in the tread they werent the best on roads with ice or water for that matter. And I ended up lifting the truck in the long run anyways and run a 37 super swamper truxus mud terrain tire now, which so far has given me great on road ride wet weather and snow traction, and have worn very well. They make a 255X85R16 in this tire which is 33 inches tall with a width of 10 inches for the tall skinny tire your looking but this is only a load range D tire. To get the load range E in this tire you would have to look at the 285x75R16 which are 33x11.5. I have no experience with any of the helica LSD, I have only run true lockers, have a ARB in the front of my truck and love it. just dind't love the price of it. Best of luck to you

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 1009 wheels are 8" the 1008 wheels are only 7" wide. The 255 is the best tire for what you are after. Toyo M-55 has a 10 ply in the 255/85/16 Load range E.

Thanx 4 the responses! 255/85 sounds like the ticket for me then. Does the rear locker push you around turns in snow? I've only driven vehicles with either open or helical torque sensing diffs. These trucks are heavy on paper, however I've never driven one in snow and I would imagine that the weight distribution is front biased. How much would some additional weight in the bed help, if any? It's not like I don't have snow driving experience growing up in northern NY (with open diff camaro)and north west NJ. I also drive big rigs for a living across the north east. I just like to know what to expect when the white stuff falls hard and I do drive sloooowly when it falls. Ticks people off but whad'ya you expect in NY/NJ metro traffic.

Croatan_Kid

As previously stated:

16x7, they have around 4.5 inches of backspacing. The closer to stock you keep the backspacing, the bigger tire size you can fit without rubbing.

I'd run a 35x10 or something similarly sized if you could find it.

These trucks are a bit nose heavy and I would imagine that, in the snow, they would fare better with the front diff being open or having a limited slip as opposed to a full locker. Lockers in the rear like to push in slick conditions whereas they will actually differentiate like they're supposed to on a dry road.

I would drive yours a little in the snow and get the feel for it before you go doing anything to it. You might like how it drives in stock form.

12vctd

With a detroit in the rear, honestly I never had a issue with the snow, I put about 1500 lbs of tractor weights in the bed and drove around in 2wd more often than 4wd. The detroit will push just like many have said but if working properly if you coast around turns its easy to live with, what i have seen get ppl in trouble is they stay on the throttle in a turn and the diff doesnt unlock, and they see the rear pass them. Once used to a detroit I can think of anything better than a selectable locker.

AJMBLAZER

You want at least a 35" tire. Any shorter and you won't notice much difference at all between them and the stock sized 31-32" tires.
I've got narrow 38's on mine with stock GMC rims and 1" of front lift and cutting. Soon to relocate my front axle to help even more.

I drove mine with 36" HMMWV tires through half of a Northern Michigan winter in 2006-2007. It was fine, even with the wider tires. Drive it like you're paying attention and you will be fine. Drive it like it's a Honda Civic and you'll hurt yourself.

2deuce

Does anyone have a picture of the Toyo M55 on their truck? What kind of tread is it? Also is the 4.5" back spacing optimum for these trucks or would alittle more or less be beneficial for the rubbung issues?

Thanks

AJMBLAZER

4.5" is optimum as it keeps most "non-wide" tires off the steering components and under the fender when using stockish rims. Mine are a bit closer to 5" but it's still okay.

2deuce

If you were to recenter a set of HMMWV wheels what backspacing would be best? I like the looks of them but I don't know how wide they are. Maybe someday I'll buy a set.
Thanks

Croatan_Kid

Generally, when you recenter H1s (the old style 8-bolt ones), you only have one backspacing option and it's around 3.75" if I remember right. The reason being, you set the new wheel center on a lip on the inside of the rim and weld it there. It makes it easy to do with no fancy jig and also adds a lot of strength to the new wheel center.

I'll measure my recentered H1s in the morning to make sure if you'd like. Also, those rims are 16.5" x 8.25" :-D

91W350

I ran a tall narrow highway tire on mine and it got around fine in snow up to about 8"... like the reatr said, just lay off the throttle while turning and you can scoot along very easily in the snow. I did not need four wheel assist until the pumpkins were dragging hard. Glen

jmassenga

I've run Denman Coyote 305/85R16 tires on stockish (stock steel wheels from a Chevy van with 5" backspacing) on my M1008 for a few years now. Theay're about 36" tall and 12.5" wide, and increase road speed by 12.5%. They've been a good all-around tire for me and I've probably put 10,000 miles on them, including a trip up the Alcan, a winter in Alaska, and light off-roading with no complaints. They're much quieter than the mud tires I had on previously. I have lifted my truck a bit (4" springs that settled to 2" in the front and 1.5" blocks in the back), rolled the rear lip of the front fenders, and added a second jam nut to the left knuckle steering stop, but you may get them to fit with more trimming and no lift. They are studable, but I have not done that as I run them year-round. The tread is still in great shape, but if/when I wear them out, I would definitely buy another set.

Winter driving in the truck isn't a big deal. I had about 300# of sand bags directly over the rear axle, and the locker was pretty much transparent. 95% of my winter driving got done in rear-wheel drive. Biggest issue I had was heat in the cab at -10 degrees (no winter front).

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks