• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stolen credit card info at gl

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Just got a call from the guy I sold a trailer to last month.

Info is 100% up and up. He had a credit card he only used for a single purchase and that was for a deuce through GL last month. Was informed this evening someone attempted to use this credit card info today in France.

Suggest everyone keep a look out on their statements and take appropriate measures to protect you information and limit your card purchases to US activities.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for sharing the info Carnac. I'm wondering if someone at GL took the info or if someone hacked their system?????

Nonotagain

Just got a call from the guy I sold a trailer to last month.

Info is 100% up and up. He had a credit card he only used for a single purchase and that was for a deuce through GL last month. Was informed this evening someone attempted to use this credit card info today in France.

Suggest everyone keep a look out on their statements and take appropriate measures to protect you information and limit your card purchases to US activities.
I had a simular problem last year with a BoA credit card.

Went to use the card at 6:00AM to pay an emergency vet bill to have the card declined. Paid the bill with all the cash I had on hand at the time. Called BoA and finally got ahold of the fraud unit, only to find out that BoA had to cancel 2M cards due to a credit card processing center being hacked.

It wasn't the fault of BoA that the credit card facility was hacked, (Visa if I remember correctly) just that BoA didn't bother to notify me.

amishnotme

amishnotme

Last year I got charged 306.00 for an airline ticket for Phoenix Arizona to Texas on my same credit card Iuse for GL sounded pretty darn fishy to me.I contacted GL and they denied it was any of their employees. I am from Ohio and didn,t use it for any thing else, and for sure not in Az.

goodguyzy

last month i got a call someone was trying to put $8,000 on my card that i use for GL, i have a good fraud department with my card and it was declined, im wondering how my number got out there?...........GL?

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wow.. same stories.. i too had my cc that i use on GL being used in florida buying car amps and radios .. something must be up:ditto:

92RT-TT

maybe its a good thing I used paypal to pay for my GL auction lol. At least there is a little more protection then...hopefully

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I used my business card to buy fuel enroute to the GA Rally last Thursday morning....that afternoon I stopped in Madison, Ga, to buy rally supplies and my card was declined...I didn't have time to mess around and used another card to purchase the stuff.

Last night I called my card company and they said they had declined several purchases that day.....they had locked my account and unlocked it when I spoke to the rep.

I told them to put a note in the computer that no out of country purchases or any transaction over 500 dollars could be made without a verbal approval from me.

Me thinks that there is a rat loose in GL's Head Shed.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
maybe its a good thing I used paypal to pay for my GL auction lol. At least there is a little more protection then...hopefully
I don't know. My paypal draws out of my bank account. I believe I'd rather have somebody run up a big CC bill than to drain my bank account. I know they say you're still protected with your bank account but it would seem to be easier to get the CC straightened out (because you owe them money) than to get your bank account fixed (because they owe you money).

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the call myself from Bank America that there was data stolen from somewhere but he did not say. He told me something overseas for $878.00 and they caught it because the bad guys try the card for one dollar 2 times then the large charge. They did not pay the charge and called me to conferm it was not me. Thanks BA you know my spending habits and where. This is why credit cards are better the debit cards. I also call in my credit cards lost 4 to 5 times a year and get a new set of numbers every time. That way if someone steals my 4 month old data it don't matter it is a dead account.

Last edited:

WARWAG

Thats kind of funny....... I was told a year ago my account was suspended because I had "more than one account". Which I didnt. I argued with them and all they kept saying was "please put that in writting and send it to us". I did. NOTHING HAPPENED, NO RESPONSE. I called them up and they said for me to do it again. They never recieved it. I blew it off at that point. Then a few months ago I get an email from GL with my name and acount name plus someone elses account name but he has the same name as me. The email was directed at him and CCd to me. Telling him that he needed to pay his back fees and that his account was suspended because he had multiple accounts. (That sounds familiar) This guy sees my email address and starts sending me threatening emails. OH and my PO Box address was also in that letter. After several heated exchanges he basically admits to me he owes them money and that they were screwing him......blah blah blah. So this jerk off and I share the same name (not common last name) and I get booted off of GL and they said I too owed them money? I call GL and talk with there manager (one of many Im sure) and he wants me to put this in writting. I tell him NO I tried that route once. 1. you put me and my family at risk. This guy is a psycho and is threatening me and you all gave him my PO box which is close to my house, Email address and GOD knows what else! Second you are liable for this not me. What else have you shared with him. 3rd You said I owed you money and now you see I dont. Does this happen to John Smiths or anyone else that share the same name? He tells me no private information (other than my email address and PO Box address) were shared with this guy. GL gave me a new online name and changed my account number. That really pissed me off when they cancelled my account because I had won a sweet M1008 and they cancelled that sell saying I had multiple accounts and owed them money.........Man what a nice truck she was! Talk about some incompetent people. At least the manager I worked with finally looked into it himself and saw what had happened. They did take care of it but ONLY after they screwed up! I wasnt going to do anymore business with them then this thing happened and they did try and make things right. Like you guys I use only one credit card for the auctions and I only transfer funds into that accounts after I win a bid. Other than that its pretty much an empty account except for a few bucks to keep it open. Maybe I shouldnt take the risk. GSA has better auctions most of the time and a whole lot less hassel! GSA is who I went to after the GL fiasco. Maybe I should just stay with GSA. This sucks not being able to feel secure about doing simple transactions with GL. You ever talk to the people that work there. Most have a hard time with the english language. Most also act like most Government employees (which there not Gov employees) and are lazy as ****. They hardly even listen to you. Few though are pretty good once you move up in the ranks. OH well thats my story.

Last edited:

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
warner robins afb had alot (800+) employees get hit, me and the wife included, two cards one account for $2,400 and change. now we use our credit cards for everything to give that little bit of buffer so it doesn't come straight out of our account. we got the money back but almost didn't make a house payment cause of it. I don't think its just GL we have to worry about i think we all need to be very vigilant in keeping track of our bank accounts. heck even the branch manager at my local bank got hit at a pizza place.

Scarecrow1

I would hope that it's just a termite in the wood and not the whole house ...I know from my dealings with companies on the web I use an account that is for a debit only and never keep more than a little over what I need to payfor my purchase ...It is in no way connected to my home account ...Now ask me how I learned that little trick 2cents

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hackers

last month i got a call someone was trying to put $8,000 on my card that i use for GL, i have a good fraud department with my card and it was declined, im wondering how my number got out there?...........GL?

This problem is far more advanced than any CC company or bank will admit.:roll:

I watched an alarming documentary a few months ago about this very issue. Seems there is a large group of hackers...nationwide.. that do absolutely nothing but set behind a computer and try to hack into credit and debit cards...mostly CC's though. They even have special programs that help them do it!!!

Once you put your CC info on line...to anyone...for any reason...you are fair game.

I was part of the Bank of America scam mentioned above. Had a brand new CC from them that was in MB's safe at home and was NOT EVEN ACTIVATED...but several charges were made in North Carolina!!
BOA fraud unit did contact me and informed me that there was a problem and the purchases made were taken off my account and a new card had been issued.

It's a different world out there folks!! As someone said above...watch your statements and call immediately if something is not right.

Chief_919

You know, were it just a few people, I would write it off as chance. But there are too many here who have been hit the same way for me to not think Governmnet Liquidations info has been compromised in some way.

Here is what I do that adds at least some security. I have a seperate checking account with debit card I use to bid. GL has on file that I am not to be charged until I contact customer service and authorize it. So I see that I have won, transfer enough money to pay over, contact live chat and tell them to run the card. Any other time there is about $10 in that account.