• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stolen Hummwv?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am just saying, I have not heard of Humvees being stolen from bases, was this from guy talk , or from news articles documenting such, i would like to see that,That is a tough sell, it is a hard thing to do first of all, As for the reason they will not be sold is safety of the vehicle, is just wrong and has been said in other posts, The H 1 has the same drive train brakes motor, The military has a zero rebuild for the first reason, second is I do not have the contract, but heard it said here, A M General did not want them sold as it would be a direct conflict of there civy sales, of the same vehicle , They have all the same features of drive ability as the H 1, There may be other conflicting reasons we are not privy to, but the safety is just a guess that cant be true or the H 1 would not have been sold to the public either. As for pleading for a decommissioned truck going over board, The reasons it would never go to anyone is not the "I guess safety is a good reason you cant have it, Just doesn't hold water, the Military follows the orders given and protocol, No one would have the authority to stop one from going over at the site, and the very very few who would would never put there career on the line for someone getting a vehicle, or anything else for that matter and have an accident , and end up getting sued and losing there job and pension, storys are told, but no one ever got a vehicle this way,
It is probably rare that they are stolen from bases , but it has happened HMMWV Stolen

BLK HMMWV

True the H1 and HMMWV may look the same and be built the same and even be able to swap allot of the same parts but one has the blessing of the DOT for sale to the civilian market and the other doesn't . That in the nut shell is the difference. When asked, the powers that be will sight saftey reasons because it is the easiest of excuses.
It's kind of like when we were kids and wanted something and are parents told us no, and we then asked why, and the answer was because I said no!!!

I'm sure a letter like this has been sent to every state but this is a copy of one I found sent to the Conneticut DMV http://olive-drab.com/images/AMG_letter000314.jpg I will note the letter does say for commercial use.

Just like many different european styles of cars are not allowed into the US because they don't meet DOT regulations, so they have to jump through a bunch of hoops and install some BS emmisions stuff or add more weight or adjust the height or what ever to pass a crash test.

As to stolen HMMWV's.
Well I have heard stories of them being stolen off a base.
Both in running condition and non running .
Also stories of missing weapons and ammo.
Have they ever been recovered, more then likely and I'm sure they are always on the lookout for those that steal but I'm not nieve enought to think it doesn't happen.
Can I point to a specific article or instance not recently but there are these.
HMMWV: How to Buy
Stolen Fort Stewart Humvee found in Florida - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports
http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/military-hmmwv-18701.html
AWOL Soldier Gets Caught in Stolen Humvee | Fox News
Man Driving Stolen Humvee Arrested for Giving Fake Name to Police | firstcoastnews.com
Police arrest man in Humvee stolen from National Guard office
Military Humvee stolen » Top News » CullmanTimes.com - Cullman, Alabama
Cable reference id: #06BERLIN3325
3 arrested in thefts from Naval Base Ventura County » Ventura County Star Mobile

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It is probably rare that they are stolen from bases , but it has happened HMMWV Stolen
Evertbody needs to REMEMBER that If it can be stolen, I HAS BEEN, how many of us have been asked how did we get our truck, because it was thought that ONLY the MILITARY could have them.

jwaller

there was a NG HMMWV stolen in my hometown about 2 years ago. Every single time I drove my truck for the next 6 months I got pulled over. It finally stopped but it was not fun.

saddamsnightmare

November 1st, 2012.

Enjoy finding one of the 1985 USMC HMMWV's...other then that, H-1's are just not the same, close, but not right! Get a good Unimog S or U, you'll have a much more capable vehicle for the same change or less then a beater HMMWV, and less likely to have issues titling same....
Even Arnold finally gave in and got a Unimog, so join the wave.....:razz:

Personally, you could give me one (HMMWV) but I'd still drive my fifty year old Unimog if I wanted real work or off road capabilities. Once you've had Unimog, you never go back!:shock:

tbearatkin

I had the pleasure of going into the bush of Tanzania to investigate the possibility of a stolen Hummer that was taken from one of our bases in Germany. The only ID number that they had on it at the time was 4 numbers stamped on the chassis there was no VIN I was told this by the NCIS agent who gave me the 4 numbers. A rancher had bought it and yes it was the stolen hummer from Germany. I turned my finding over to the embassy got on a plane and flew back home to Nairobi. Do not know what came of it and forgot about like I did with the safe full of Ammo I opened for a nice gentleman at our abandoned consulate in Lubumbashi Zaire just before the president was overthown. Very nice town Lubumbashi nice and quiet place while I was there.

tiny110

Banned
What numbers on the hmmwv's are traceable? Where are they at on the truck? And how can i go about having the numbers checked out? There seems to be more trucks out there that are made up from parts than i thought there would be.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I am building one from scratch,I found no numbers on the frame and cant find any numbers on my body.I have had 3 different frames and have never seen any frame #s.It can cost you more to build one that it is to buy a complete one.

tiny110

Banned
I am looking to buy 1 this is already complete. I just want to make sure everything is on the up and up. Thanks for the info guys.

My concern comes from 1 time when I bought a shotgun off of a classified ad from a cop. I got pulled over and they ran all the serial numbers of the guns i had in the truck. And the shotgun came up as stolen. It was missing from the sheriff's department inventory. The only way that I was able to clear my name was to show the emails that we sent back and forth talking about the gun in detail. I don't know what ended up happening to the cop.

Csm Davis

I thought I would bring this back to the top because I know that there was more stolen and now we have many more out there to mix them in with other than the data plates is there a place to look for a traceable number?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks