• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stopping Rust/Top coat

CapePrep

Getting ready to work on some rusty suspension and underbody areas of my truck. Hopefully not opening a hornets nest here, i.e. Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge, but what have you guys done to deal with the rust and what did you top coat with? Have watched many videos, read numerous sources of solutions. Just looking for something definitive. I am swaying towards POR15, but not 100% sold on it. I know I need to wire brush/sand blast everywhere I can. Prep is everything. Let the bullets fly!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you like doing things twice use POR. If you sand blast, use a red oxide shop coat such as Sherwin Williams ER61RC0036 and top coat with Sherwin Williams Kem Lustral Wrought Iron Flat black F65B50.

CapePrep

If you like doing things twice use POR. If you sand blast, use a red oxide shop coat such as Sherwin Williams ER61RC0036 and top coat with Sherwin Williams Kem Lustral Wrought Iron Flat black F65B50.
NDT, thank you! Have used POR before, but hearing things have changed there and was looking for something specific like you recommended.

royg

clean surface.
etch.
epoxy.

If you want the best, you want a coating that hardens by a chemical reaction of mixing 2 parts. Most paint works with a solvent that evaporates. I.e. with latex paint the solvent is water. Epoxy is different, when you mix the 2 components together it begins a chemical reaction that ends with it hardening to a very robust finish. surface prep is of course important regardless of the paint.

but if you want the best, longest lasting results, you want epoxy.

CapePrep

clean surface.
etch.
epoxy.

If you want the best, you want a coating that hardens by a chemical reaction of mixing 2 parts. Most paint works with a solvent that evaporates. I.e. with latex paint the solvent is water. Epoxy is different, when you mix the 2 components together it begins a chemical reaction that ends with it hardening to a very robust finish. surface prep is of course important regardless of the paint.

but if you want the best, longest lasting results, you want epoxy.
This is great info. Looking into EP as we speak. Thank you

87cr250r

If you're going to go through the effort of sand blasting DO NOT use red oxide primer. Use a zinc-rich epoxy. I don't know the automotive lines but I'm sure some users have come across products like Devoe 302. My company uses Interzinc 75V. The zinc rich primers can protect even when chipped. Your truck came with zinc rich primers from the factory and anything else would be a downgrade.

If you're feeling adventurous there is a non-hardening coating based on gelled calcium sulfonate. It's self-healing. Daubert Nox-Rust 121B is one example. GM uses it on the frames of some of their heavy duty trucks.

Reactions: OBX
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks