• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

storing deisel fuel

barnetc1

I am fixing to store 1000 gallons of fuel. Its going to be 500 gallons of used motor oil, and 500 gallons of offroad . Question is do they make something to put in the fuel so it can be stored for 10 years. Going to run in a deuce in case of emergency...:driver:

wikallen

Store it in unvented, air/water tight containers, and I would imagine it will store for a long time.

Another thing to consider is to use it up, and buy fresh once a year. So, might need double your storage tanks. The military used 55 gallon drums to store fuel, so look into what those were in WWII

Texan4Life

We ran about 500 gallons of off road diesel through farm equipment and it was about 10 years old with no additives. stored above ground. Didn't notice anything different other than it plugged fuel filters like crazy.

so I would stock up on fuel filters too.... also I wouldn't mix the used oil and fuel until you were ready to use it.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Store it in unvented, air/water tight containers, and I would imagine it will store for a long time.

Another thing to consider is to use it up, and buy fresh once a year. So, might need double your storage tanks. The military used 55 gallon drums to store fuel, so look into what those were in WWII
Ditto on both points. If you leave it open to the air, things start to grow, and it will plug up your fuel system very quick. From my experience, once diesel has gone bad in a vehicle it is very difficult to keep the system clean.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Algae will actually grow in diesel fuel......water is your enemy.....fill the container (whatever type) completly full (leaving a small headspace for expansion if it will be exposed to changing temps).

And as stated above use some storage conditioner of some sort.

Be aware that there may be local ordinances against storing bulk fuel unless you are out in the boondocks.

I store my UMO and WVO in 250 gallon "totes", they are big plastic containers inside a wire cage. You can store your mixed fuel in them.....be aware that they are heavy when loaded if you have to move them.

Mine have big valves on the bottom that can be adapted down to a small fueling size hose. If the tote is elevated you can gravity feed fuel fuel into your vehicle.

Hope this helps.

flyxpl

Keep containers out of direct sunlight so you will need less room for expansion . Also if you could use some , then refill it would not get as old .

jatonka

You can store diesel for up to 8 years under ground with a Biocide treatment to inhibit Algae growth. Biocide is very expensive. I paid $115 for 80 ounces which treats 4600 gallons according to manufacturer. Today's gas is only a 6 month to 10 month shelf life, so diesel is the way to go. Most of this comes from James Wesley Rawles. JT

JOAT 0311

Does anyone have any input on how to deal with fuel gone bad or starting to go bad? This is hypothetical when in an emergency situation. How far gone can diesel be before is is useless, without algae?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can kill the algea and or filter it out, then treat it to kill it.

Your best plan is to rotate your stock, with some reasonable frequency.

6x6guy

I had a couple of part trucks- one over 7 years old that was my 1st m35, that that ended up as a
parts truck, put the old diesel fuel into a running truck with no problems. And got me thinking--
I have heard from a couple of people that the present gasoline, that the gasoline
was reformulated and now lasts about 6 months before it breaks down and you can add
a fuel additive and should last about another 6 months or so, gasoline = 1 year in storage.
But after I checked my inventory of power generators, and on hand fuel (gasoline) which I rotate
on a regular schedule- it becomes a no brainer- diesel is the way to go- I have been playing around with the idea of installing a diesel air cooled motor into a m274 for some time. I'am picking up a mule from Dave Kalone in the next month or so, and making it one of my winter projects. :lol:

Katahdin

Up heyah in the Northeast most homes have 275 gallons of diesel sitting in their basements, a lot of people double up with two tanks. Of course I'm talking about dyed No.2 home heating oil for furnaces and boilers.

Sludge is a common problem due to condensation building up in the tank, usually over the summer when a tank will sit for an extended period of time in high humidity at a fraction full. To avoid sludge keep the tank topped off to prevent condensation.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ~best fuel treatment for diesel is PRI-D. They also make a biocide which I would use if I were storing long term. It does not contain ALCOHOL. I have seen it retailed for $39 a quart but it can be bought online for around $27, I found it for $27.xx at Albina Fuel in Vancouver, WA.

As for ^^ keeping the tanks full, Chevron recommends keeping both gas and diesel tanks at 95% to minimize condensation but allow for expansion.

As for gasoline, it can be stored long term if treated with PRI-G. However you will not likely be successful storing gas with ethanol added. The only fuel I will even pump into a can or drum is non-ethanol premium. It can be bought at any marina. Search online for a listing of places that sell it in your state.

My practice is PRI-D or PRI-G in the drum before filling.

BTW, if anyone wants free clean 55 gallon drums in Oregon or SW Washington send me a PM and I will hook you up. I get 4-6 of them per week just for picking them up. They contained cooking oil.

Edit: This week the guy had 8 drums.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks