• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Storm Brewing

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does your master cylinder still have the vent line attached? Many have been removed.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off...

Our prayers go up for you and all those in the path of this hurricane.
May you remain safe and be blessed.

Secondly, but more like something within YOUR control.....

Coming in for a beer - or any potentially incapacitating beverage or substance - is probably one of the most foolish things you could do in preparation for emergency operations. What you face, sir, will REQUIRE your FULL and UNDISTORTED attention and focus. ANY consumptions is plain SABOTAGE of mission success. Do you really want to be impaired when you're going to be called upon to make life-or-death decisions????

IMHO !

Again, you ARE in our prayers.
John & Dianna
San Angelo TX (from our temporary LZ in El Paso, TX.)

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me tell you something Chaplain, around here the beer shelf emptys out faster than the water and Chef Boyardee shelf does.

Csm Davis

SE JONES give me a call and next time I run to the coast I can show you a lot of stuff to work on if you want to play in the tidal surge there will always be folks to save down here from the storms.aua

Barrman

Besides the mentioned air intakes. Anytime you get brakes, wheel bearings, axles and such under water. They will need to be taken apart, cleaned, lubed and put back together. If you have to go through say 20 inches of water, you will get water in your axles. So, if you plan to go through water a mile from the house and then drive 100 miles to your "safe" destination. You probably will make it, but you will need to work on the truck before you come back. If you want the truck to be ready for the next storm that is.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about your axle vents?

Hope all you SSer's in Florida & other paths of the impending hurricane make it through safe & sound...I hope it dies down to nothing more than an afternoon rain storm. God bless & be safe!

Barrman

Axle vents? You mean those little things on top that are supposed to pop up to let air out and close down to keep water out? How many people on here have actually checked them the way the manual says to more than once since they bought their truck? Even if they work correctly think of the physics.

Hot air inside a sealed area such as an axle. The bearings are hot from running down the road and the vents are open to let out expanding air. The axle gets under water and cool off. The vents close after some water gets let in. Then the still cooling axle creates a vacuum inside. Water will get sucked in through the seals, vents and gaskets on top. That is if the vents work. If they don't work, then water will just run in through them.

shadowrwolf

thinking about that and the vents could always run line from the vents to the air system and put the axle under positive pressure when fording not much pressure would be needed.

ODdave

Not gonna lie, Who gives a flying f*** about the axles? If I had a choice of using my truck to move me to a safe place or get water in my axles.....Pretty shure the choice is simple. Dont get me wrong, I love my trucks but in a situation like this the truck would get sacraficed, Thats what the where made to do, It would be an honorable fate.

Last edited:

klmartin62

thinking about that and the vents could always run line from the vents to the air system and put the axle under positive pressure when fording not much pressure would be needed.
You could blow out a seal or gasket very easily like that. even with only a couple of psi. IMHO, you would be better off taking a chance on getting a little water in the diffs. If you blow out a pinion seal, it will leak at speed and could burn up a third member, wheel bearings, etc.

ODdave

You could blow out a seal or gasket very easily like that. even with only a couple of psi. IMHO, you would be better off taking a chance on getting a little water in the diffs. If you blow out a pinion seal, it will leak at speed and could burn up a third member, wheel bearings, etc.
Read the tm on the fording system. Might be suprized......

SE Jones

First chance I've had to post anything. Thanks again for all the input. Ended up taking MOTHER to higher ground and waded back home. Water is about 4-5 feet around my house, which isn't bad compared to the 18 we had during Katrina. My family is safe and my deuce is too! I really am greatful to those of you who responded sincerely with useful input. I'll be back on after everything is over and back to "normal".

Attachments

Munchies

I am about 1/4-1/2 mile away if ya need anything. Have some gensets you can borrow if you need power. Our Singing river boys are QUICK on the repairs though!
Me and a few other military families on Sycamore, let me know what ya need over on 'boat launch road' !

SoundGuy

I'm glad you are safe. Deuces are great storm vehicles. I used mine to help block wind and trash from my back porch and then used it to yank a tree down that landed on my power line (Line broke at the pole. Line only went to my house so no chance that it was live.) I love this truck. I just got power back from the storm today! I ordered a dump bed kit to help with the cleanup.

saddamsnightmare

September 3rd, 2012.

Deuces are pretty good storm vehicles, Unimogs from the factory are probably better able to take care of themselves in fairly deep water, and DUKW's beat both flat out.... Hope you guys did OK! DH, you do have a point, but you need to do that OMG on the manuals in Munckin voices.....;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks