• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Storm Chasing

EF-5

A while back I started a thread discussing storm chasing vehicles in The Deuce forum section. I would like to bring that discussion into the realm of CUCV's. What are some of your opinions regarding using an m1009 as a platform for a storm chasing vehicle. It seems fast enough, roomy, reliable, and the essential creature comforts are there aside from A/C. I have read that the m1009 is also fairly easy to upgrade as far as comfort goes.

I am still learning about gear ratios, hydro assist braking and steering, etc. I have been doing extensive research and it seems to be a solid vehicle for a storm chasing platform (I could probably even add some additional protection such as lexan windows and LIGHT armor plating without loss of performance). I notice that a few people swap stock axles with more off-roading capable ones. Would the axles be a problem for my purposes, or is that just for serious wheeling? I would not mind swapping in heavier duty axles, but I don't want to affect the cruising/ top speed of the m1009.

Any opinions, ideas, or even designs would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Warren

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have seen high winds blow over railroad cars and destroy pre-stressed concrete and steel construction.......riding around in a tornado in a light vehicle (even an up armored one) is a good way to wake up dead.

A deuce armored with 1/4 plate steel would still only top out at around 20-25,000 pounds.

A

A/C Cages

The only way to get around the weight issue is to have ground effects that can be locked down in place making so no air can get below the vehicle and lift it. Yup I saw that storm chaser program on TV, you might want to watch and see how they built thiers with the groud effects. If not you will end up like wreckerman893 just said.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Honestly you should probably go to www.stormchasers.com. This is an MV website geared toward maintaining said trucks. Speculation on turning one of our trucks into a storm chaser would best be covered elsewhere. If I recall that is how the deuce thread ended too.

A

A/C Cages

Honestly you should probably go to www.stormchasers.com. This is an MV website geared toward maintaining said trucks. Speculation on turning one of our trucks into a storm chaser would best be covered elsewhere. If I recall that is how the deuce thread ended too.

Yup, im not the only one whos seen that before. So if you value your life, read up and still dont do it.

EF-5

I figured a military vehicle would be a good platform to start planning around. The deuce was an ambitious project I'll admit. I don't have the funding to transform the Deuce into an MRAP vehicle. Storm chasing vehicles range from Kia Sephias to the armored vehicles you see on TV. I am obviously in no position intercepting the INSIDE of a tornado. When I say storm chasing I mean simply that. I currently chase storms in my Ford 500 (look it up if you don't know what it is). Small cars can survive EF-1 tornado winds. Even train cars are more vulnerable to EF-1 wind speeds than a mini van simply because it has a larger surface area, despite their weight. I figured an M1009 would stand a better chance against hail and harsh road conditions than the Ford 500. I chased the Alabama outbreak this past April in that same Ford 500, I survived along with the car.

I have chased many tornadic thunderstorms, along with other chasers, in cars that barely weigh 2000lbs. Would anyone disagree that an M1009 is more capable of fulfilling my needs than a family sedan?? Simple as that.

I AM NOT DRIVING THROUGH A TORNADO. I guarantee many of you have driven through inclement enough weather that could be considered storm chasing.

jimmy-90

I don't know much about storm chaseing but I do know that cucv's aren't exactly fast vehicles. If I was looking into getting sorta close to tornadoes I would think something faster like maby a truck set up for desert racing would be a better choice since those things will run in the roughest conditions at like 100MPH or better. A supercharded big-block probly wouldn't hurt either for making a fast getaway with a NOS bottle just incase lol. A tig welded chromolly roll cage would probly be a good investment as well.

zoo

Tornado two months back beat the crap out of my m1009.
I'm glad i wasn't in it.
The wind picked up a fiberglass camper shell threw it about 75 yds. into the backend of my 1986 cucv and my jeep that were parked side by side .
The 1009 has tailgate caved in broken back window,back side window, tail lights. Front and rear quarterpanels damaged,front windshield and fiberglass top badly cracked.and Rear bumper bent
It skidded about 25 yds. down gravel driveway and yard.
jeep had similar damage its 07 wrangler 4 door ,both were stuffed with leaves sticks and tree limbs.
I only had liability insurance on the 1009,damage to jeep.... $11,434.00.both still run fine.

idM1028

Meh. Could be worth a shot. My dad used to do this sort of thing with his '88 Silverado, but it was more along the lines of "sit on this hill with a ham radio and tell us what you see. Get the **** out if things start getting too hot (stormy?)"

EF-5

I appreciate the responses! Jimmy I would love to purchase a Ford SVT Raptor lol. Maybe in the future for sure. Storm chasing and storm spotting are compliments of each other. You predict and chase the storm in order to spot a potentially deadly situation, and then report it to the NWS, or the emergency management. As a storm spotter you are also one of the first people to arrive on the seen so being able to navigate through debris is also very important. The Ford 500 is just not up to that part of storm chasing. Feel free to chime in with design ideas as well, if the thread lasts that long.

I might even do a storm chasing build thread later on.

idM1028

Design ideas:
-Roll cage (or at least bar): Could be interior or exterior. Provides protection if truck rolls
-Replace seat belts with racing harnesses: The stock belts would probably be fine. Unfortunately, I've rolled at least one truck while wearing stock seat belts and was fine. Honestly, if there was a high probability of doing it, I'd probably prefer a racing harness.
-Replace stock seats with racing seats or racing-style buckets: Helps keep your a** in place in a rollover. Go with whatever you think is comfy and see above point.
-Add off-road auxiliary lights to truck: Try to find one with an unbreakable lens or at least a stone guard. You could probably use them as a backup if your main driving lights get smashed out.
-Replace axles or rebuild them with heavy-duty components: M1009= time bomb 10-bolts. 'Nuff said.
-Do Roscommon 12V conversion: This is the most popular 12V conversion so it should be easier to diagnose problems if they arise. Allows the truck to be jumped from a civvie vehicle. Does not require use of special parts (alternators, starters, etc.) Should allow you to free up a spot for a AC condenser (Summertime=storms. Storms=you want the windows rolled up. Georgia in the summertime=hot, you get the idea) With the M1009's, you get a positive 12V junction block (24V stock) on the passenger sidewall in the rear that can be used to run electronic goodies (computers, whatever) Also negates the need to run a special isolated ground alternator letting you upgrade to something with more output or more water resistance (like a marine alternator) or both.
-Wire truck up for radio: CB, amateur radio, whatever you plan on using. Don't forget to include the antenna.
-Upgrade tires: Try to find a set of run-flats or something with a bit more puncture resistance like the Goodyear MT/R Kevlar's. God knows after a storm there's gonna be all kinds of sharp crap laying around.
-Upgrade wipers: Get the biggest and best you can. Might want to replace the wiper motor with one thats faster as well.
-Create storage area(s) for extra stuff: Basic tools, fuel, fluids, whatever you want or think you might need. Make sure you figure out a way to secure it. If the truck rolls, anything thats not secured down is gonna go flying (possibly towards your head)

Any more ideas I'll let you know. And yeah, I'm from tornado alley.

Last edited:

danoscooter

cool idea

I think it would be cool to turn a 09 into a storm chaser. Heck if you had enough money you could turn just about anything into a tornado intercept vehicle. I didn't know this forum was strictly for stock military vehicles.

Do what you want to it. Though I would definately do something with the engine so you could get out of Dodge quicker. Cool idea stick with it!

idM1028

I think it would be cool to turn a 09 into a storm chaser. Heck if you had enough money you could turn just about anything into a tornado intercept vehicle. I didn't know this forum was strictly for stock military vehicles.

Do what you want to it. Though I would definately do something with the engine so you could get out of Dodge quicker. Cool idea stick with it!
Well that's easy. Put a Banks turbo kit on it ($2,000 new, from what I've seen $900 used) or yank all the turbo stuff off an early 6.5 in a junkyard.
By the way danoscooter, thanks for hopping on the band wagon and stealing my truck. I thought I was gonna have the only cool truck when I got back home :( Just kidding.

EF-5

I love the ideas that are coming through. This is the reason I started this thread :). idM1028 I have heard of the 12V conversion, but not the one you mentioned so that is something that I am going to research ASAP (sounds more simple and effective). I would like to be able to set up A/C from a civilian blazer rather than buying a $950 kit.

When we talk about axles what sort of swap would you recommend without loosing cruising and top speed. I hear a lot about the Dana 60 (Especially on Xtreme 4x4). Would a large axle from a heavy duty truck such as an F350 or heavier be a good candidate with the gearing that is already in them? I am still learning about gear ratios and such.

I have also thought about fabricating a slant back hard top (much like the HMMWV's) in order to reduce some wind drag. I also love the way I'm picturing it in my head.

Thanks again!

idM1028

Its pretty easy to find. Just google "CUCV 12V conversion" Should be the first thing that pops up. Pretty easy to do as well. My understanding is its mostly just rearranging wires and putting a 12V starter on the truck. I believe this is the conversion the forest service does to all their trucks.
As far as axles, the Dana 60 is a pretty good axle. Stock, they're next to impossible to break (it can be done, but is difficult) Built up, they're next to indestructible. If you blow up a built Dana 60, its time to start looking at a set of deuce and a half axles. I'd say your best bet for a set of heavy duty axles would be to nab a set from any of the other CUCV trucks (M1008, M1028, etc.) or a similar year 3/4 or 1 ton GM truck. If the axle came from say, a Ford you might have to do a bit of fabbing to make it fit (GM, Ford, and Dodge trucks all used Dana 60's at one point or another, but there are various differences between how the axles were set up in the trucks, etc.) Only problem with these big axles is they are generally meant for big trucks, big tires, and big loads. What this means is about the closest gear ratio you're gonna find to 3.08 (stock for a M1009) is about 3.55-3.73 which is going to knock the top speed of the truck down a bit. Might seem like a no-brainer, but if you regear one axle, you're gonna have to get the other regeared as well if you plan on using 4wd. If you're having problems figuring out gear ratios and what-not try using this:
Expert Advice - Expert Advice - SummitRacing.com
Keep in mind the max RPM for a CUCV 6.2 is about 2,600 or 2,700 RPM. You can use this tool to figure out various factors in the speed/gear ratio/tire size equation. Long story short, lower(numerically higher) gear ratios=less top end speed, but more torque and vice versa. Bigger tires=better top end speed, but the need for lower gear ratios and stronger axles to turn them.

EF-5

I was doing research on axles and came across a Dana 61. Apparently they have a 3.07 gear ratio. Would this be a good swap for the stock axles of the M1009? Is the Dana 61 as robust as the Dana 60?

It seems that the only difference between the two is that the Dana 61 has a bigger gear housing to accommodate taller gears. Does anyone know/ have experience with the Dana 61?

idM1028

Sounds about right. Apparently, they introduced them during the '70s oil embargo becuase the Dana 60 casings couldn't fit a gear ratio higher than 3.55. Here's a bit more info: Pirate4x4.Com - Extreme Four Wheel Drive
The gear ratio is d*** close. . . but I still wouldn't run it with 3.08's in the rear. Shoot, I don't think I'd run it period. The axle would probably be stronger than the 10-bolt in the rear (which is the one that's gonna be most likely to blow up) and it sounds like parts for the Dana 61 are next to impossible to find. And they were only used in Dodges and Fords. Again, the issue of fabbing. . .
Just sounds like one giant pain in the a** IMHO.

idM1028

Also there's other axles that can be had with a 3.07 gear ratio and are about the same size as a 10 bolt, but can be built to be as strong as a stock Dana 60 which you might be able to yank from a same era GM truck. And there's other gear ratios you can still play with hint, hint, hint. . . ;)

EF-5

Haha you are probably right. I only saw one for sale and it was the rear. Seems like the Dana 61 is pretty scarce. But I appreciate the input. I'm definitely looking around for different axles and gear ratios that will fit my needs. I just really like the highway speed of the m1009. I'm sure there are two axles somewhere out there that have my name written on them lol. Just a matter of finding them.

Exactly how do you upgrade an axle?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks