• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Storm's a-comin'

Ajax MD

A tropical storm will be passing through my area. I expect to see wind speeds of around 40-45mph, max.
Should I remove the cargo cover from my 5-ton, or is this within expected tolerances?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not worry about it, other than limbs (as Wes pointed out) that may fall onto your top. I have a cargo cover on my M1085A1 and it stays on all year...same goes for my M105A2 wood trailer with a cargo cover.

FloridaAKM

I leave the covers on my Deuces, the M-105's, the M1102's & the M-1082 trailer with no problems. I even have a 16' x 16' tent set up that survived thru Hurricane Irma several years ago set up with no damage to any of it. The winds are not my problem here in Florida, but the sun is & the 6 years that the tent has been set up has taken a toll on the fabric, it is not leaking yet, but it is getting thin around the peak. After hurricane season is over, the main cover will be replaced with a spare one from GL.

Do keep your trucks away from the trees as the limbs are deadly to structures & vehicles during storms & high winds.

Ajax MD

Yep, everything is away from trees but the storm got rolling before I could get home to remove the cover. Winds are pretty mild so far, but gobs of rain.
My road floods in 2 places so I drove the HMMWV to work today to ensure that I could get back into the neighborhood later.

Anvilface

u worried about 40 - 50 mph winds ? i just spent the night listening to 70 mph winds at my house. i'd rather put up with snowstorms than these hurricanes, they scary.
Yeah, I hear ya. I worked a 19 hour shift through that last night. Driving one of our m923s for 10 straight hours. Dragging trees out of the roads...good times.

Anvilface

We weathered it pretty well.

While I was in the Corps, we always removed ALL of them before a storm. That being said, They will last through quite a bit as long as they are secured well. If they aren't flapping in the wind they will hold up.

Our local Fire department has two LMTVs with canvas on them. They leave them on for storm response. Both of my agencies M923s have no canvas, so I don't have to worry about them.

We didn't have any real flooding, but we pulled some monster trees out of the road to clear them for emergency vehicles. Hope it goes well for you.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you have many across wires? That is moving a lot of timber, anvil.

I made a trailer out of my m35 bed and the wind always seemed to find my cover tie downs weakest point. Once it looked like it went straight up. I don't trust grommets or politicians or the Facebook dude that sells our personal information

Ajax, sounds like you lucked out...I doubt my kid in Groton Conn. got off so easy.

Ajax MD

Did you have many across wires? That is moving a lot of timber, anvil.

I made a trailer out of my m35 bed and the wind always seemed to find my cover tie downs weakest point. Once it looked like it went straight up. I don't trust grommets or politicians or the Facebook dude that sells our personal information

Ajax, sounds like you lucked out...I doubt my kid in Groton Conn. got off so easy.
Yes, the winds seemed to grow stronger as the storm moved north. This is the opposite of what I expected to happen.
There were 2 small tornadoes and roads washed out in Southern Maryland. My area a few miles north got off easy.

It's still early in the season. Plenty of time for things to go sideways.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks