• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stow-n-go seats in a M109 Box :)

peashooter

So I've been trying to come up with some ideas for compact,legal safe and comfortable travel seating for a couple people in the van box of my 109 camper conversion so we dont need to take 2 cars when we go somewhere as a family.
I finally came up with an idea that would work great since it wont take up any extra usable space (which there is very little of to begin with) in the van box. Since it made me laugh just thinking of it I figured I share it with all of you.
It turns out that you can fit the larger portion of the 05-current dodge/chrystler rear stow and go bench seat between the frame rails under the van box. ... as rediculous as it sounds its perfect for us as it would be more comfortable than the other jumpseats out there and will fold completely into the floor so it takes up no space. It will take some fab but nothing too crazy, just a metal box, and probably a reinforced seat back cover (so you can walk on it when its stowed) that gets put into the floor between the frame rails and frame crossmembers to protect the seat.
The other option I had thought of was 2 stow n go bucket seats that would be facing each other. There is room for them instead of bench but you just have to space them around the crossmember of the frame. They are shallow enough also so full suspension travel wont cause any interference. Junkyards and handicap van mfgs sell the stow-n-go stuff for around $75 each around here.

Attachments

CobraCDR

You may want to do a little research on our MN State Statutes and traffic code... If I recall correctly, I don't believe it's legal to transport anyone in the back of your M109 even with seats, not to mention, not safe. 2cents

802dot1q

Interesting. How does that work with a regular motor home? Illegal to ride in the back? I wonder what the requirements would be to make it legal?

jaymcb

You may want to do a little research on our MN State Statutes and traffic code... If I recall correctly, I don't believe it's legal to transport anyone in the back of your M109 even with seats, not to mention, not safe. 2cents
Tagging along here. Ifa 109 is registered as a camper, and has DOT approved seats and seatbelts in the box, how is it less safe than the cab?

armytruck63

There are some strange rules about this in California. It used to be that you could ride in an attached camper or 5th-wheel trailer as long as the passengers could communicate with the driver. Riding in a regular trailer with a bumper hitch was not allowed. I don't know if these rules are still current and what they say about seat belts.

Modern motorhomes have seatbelts. My brother lets his kids scramble all over the place while he is driving. I have told him this makes me worry about the kids' safety.

Maybe a steel or aluminum plate over the seats would solve the seat back issue.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Communications between the passengers in the back and the driver is the key legal hurdle. If you have a 'tunnel' between the cab and the back, you should be good. Otherswise, as an attorney in your state.

802dot1q

Has anyone done a tunnel from the cab to box? I've thought of a hatch through the cab roof into the loft area on the 820.

Mike, anyone ever tell you that you look like Terry O'Quinn (aka John Locke from Lost)?

Attachments

Last edited:

SMOKEWAGON66

It used to be that you could ride in an attached camper or 5th-wheel trailer as long as the passengers could communicate with the driver. Riding in a regular trailer with a bumper hitch was not allowed. I don't know if these rules are still current and what they say about seat belts.
Last i heard this is still true....5th wheels an attached campers OK with some sort of commo device...bumper pulls-forgedaboutit! I would think a 109 would fall under the Camper/RV rules..long as they have seat belts, then whats the big deal.

DUECE-COUPE

even with all the safety features you can think of, a M109 is little more than an oven on wheels unless there is an environmental control system installed (read A/C)

peashooter

Well I ended up finding a nice flip up seat. It meets all the safety standards, has built in shoulder belts (even child seat latches) and it folds up nice. The backrest folds down, then the whole seat folds up against the wall without covering up the window and only taking up 9" of space when stowed. I decided it would be nice to have this type so passengers can look out the window plus it will now be used with the convertible couch to make a dinnet when we eat inside the camper if the weather isnt nice outside.
I had a large 1/4" steel plate made that will go over the existing wheel well covers and then some. It will be bolted to the frame cross members below and the seat is getting bolted to it. The box has A/C, lights, and will have an aircraft intercom headset setup. here are some pictures of the seat, the last one is the seat in the box (not mounted yet, waiting for spring and a new coat of paint inside the box first:))

Attachments

peashooter

would you be willing to share the source and cost of that seat?
Sure the company is called Freedman Seats. If I remember right they are the freedman fold away style. These things are rediculously expensive new (around $700-$1500 depending on features). I first found out about them from a local handicap van conversion company. They can be found for relatively cheap ($50-$300) off ebay or craigslist, usually from people that buy old transit buses and convert them to limo buses or something. I found this one with the integral seat belts off ebay, it was mounted but from the looks of it either never used or rarely if ever.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks