• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Straight Piped A3 Today!

YOUNG GUN

I decided to get rid of the muffler and the EGR tube yesterday... Headed to the shop and busted it out this morning.
Sounds way better, much better throttle response, and seems to get up to speed a little faster (the last part could be in my head, but I don't think so).
I'll post pics if anyone is interested.

CatMan

Straight Piped A3

Why in the world would you want to take out the DUST EJECTOR feature of the air cleaner system????? It is not an Exaust Gas Resurculation (EGR) system! You are taking out equipment without even understanding what it is and why it is an advantage to have it.

The dust ejector muffler system is a premium system that is specified and has been used for many years on many models of heavy duty diesel equipment to reduce the air cleaner service requirements by pulling out the heavy dust particals and sending them out the muffler. It has nothing to do with exhaust gas resurculation!!!!

It will have zero effect on power, throttle response or time to full RPM. It will require you to clean and replace the air cleaner element 4 times more often without it. Your ear is about the most piss poor diagnostic instrument available when it comes to evaluating modern diesel engine performance.

But hey, it's your tuck and you can mess it up any way you want. I guess you are more experianced and have the data to overcome years of engineering developlment and thousands and thousands of dollars of testing to vetrify the advantage of a premium air filter system that the government documented as a clear service advantange that would improve service life, reduce maintenance requirements and improve engine life to overhaul.

Cat Man

YOUNG GUN

The main reason I removed the muffler is because I like the way it sounds (the tube just went with it). It seems like the throttle response is better to me. The reading I've done on this forum and another didn't indicate that removing the tube in question would cause any problems. If removing the EGR tube or whatever you want to call it causes me to replace the air filter more often that's fine with me.
I certainly didn't indicate that I know more about diesel engines than the people who build them; I do know that a bunch of emissions crap is put on vehicles that hinders performance (not saying this is the case with the above mentioned tube, but it does happen).
If removing the tube is going to damage my engine than I will certainly install it in my straight pipe.

Thanks for the input.

YOUNG GUN

The main reason I removed the muffler is because I like the way it sounds (the tube just went with it). It seems like the throttle response is better to me. The reading I've done on this forum and another didn't indicate that removing the tube in question would cause any problems. If removing the EGR tube or whatever you want to call it causes me to replace the air filter more often that's fine with me.
I certainly didn't indicate that I know more about diesel engines than the people who build them; I do know that a bunch of emissions crap is put on vehicles that hinders performance (not saying this is the case with the above mentioned tube, but it does happen).
If removing the tube is going to damage my engine than I will certainly install it in my straight pipe.

Thanks for the input.

ratat98

Awesome! Take a vid of it, Ive always wanted to hear a straight piped kitty! Who cares what kinda tube it is, the boy did what he wanted and got the results he wanted.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Thanks CatMan for calling the dust ejector tube what it really is. I have been watching everyone call it an EGR device for a some time. Just wondering when someone would read up on the use of the tube and correct the posting of incorrect information.

YOUNG GUN

I'll work on posting video and pics.
I do appreciate the advise/information on the tube CatMan, it sounds like your familiar with these engines; That being said, is the tube being removed going to hurt my engine, or just cause early air filter replacement?
I can live with filters but not with a sick engine.

Thanks

Jbrowning22

Thanks CatMan for calling the dust ejector tube what it really is. I have been watching everyone call it an EGR device for a some time. Just wondering when someone would read up on the use of the tube and correct the posting of incorrect information.
I assume you are joking.......

Last edited:

Jbrowning22

This is the dust ejector hose I am talking about. Part number from the parts manual for the M35A3. Take note of the "special features" description. This is the 14 inch long hose that goes from the air cleaner to the exhaust. No joke !!!

4720-01-441-4844, 4720014414844, 12448410, RCSK14943 Data. Get Quote & Buy
Cool find, and idea......if it didn't block half of the pipe diameter inside the stack.

My truck runs better straight piped as well. Probably more so because of how restrictive the muffler is.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stupid mufflers...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks