• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Straighten me out

Vapor Trail

I read the M1123 is the heavy duty version of the M998 so I would think it would be 12.1 parts but i think it has 10.3 parts. I'm trying to buy halfshafts, rotors, calipers etc but not sure which ones to get. Serial number about 217000

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the parts manual the M1123 is UOC (Useable On Code) "NNN"
All of the A2 variant trucks (4 speed non turbo trucks) are 12k drivetrain components
Only thing you need to pay attention to other than that is there are a couple things different on the engine or related systems for trucks with a serial number above 196900, such as power steering pump/reservoir, extra idler pulley, and different serpentine belt and routing.

Last edited:

Vapor Trail

Thanks so much guys. Wolfer on Ebay sells halfshafts cheap and the description lists them as American made and better than AM Generals. Are they any good? What kind of reputatiopn for durability do they have? Thanks

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks so much guys. Wolfer on Ebay sells halfshafts cheap and the description lists them as American made and better than AM Generals. Are they any good? What kind of reputatiopn for durability do they have? Thanks
wolfer has a reputation for selling parts that are junk.

There is no way they can meet the specs as laid out by the government contract, and then have them be more durable or whatever they are claiming than the government specs.
There really isn't any way to build parts that exceed the specs they are supposed to meet, and come in way under the cost of the parts that meet the spec, unless the original part is massively overpriced to begin with (and stuff like that tends to get companies in trouble eventually)

Remember this, if it seems too good to be true, it almost always is.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've purchased Wolfer for (forgive me, I'm forgetting the name of the part) the arm on the rear that sets the toe for the rear wheels. The part quality appears to be as good as the original, but it clearly was NOT US made. (I knew this going in, so no problem!)

Other stuff, ya reputation is "cheap" knockoffs. So you can gamble on the cheaper part, take the risk and give us a review -- or you can buy the more expensive part you know you will work.

sue

wolfer has a reputation for selling parts that are junk.

There is no way they can meet the specs as laid out by the government contract, and then have them be more durable or whatever they are claiming than the government specs.
There really isn't any way to build parts that exceed the specs they are supposed to meet, and come in way under the cost of the parts that meet the spec, unless the original part is massively overpriced to begin with (and stuff like that tends to get companies in trouble eventually)

Remember this, if it seems too good to be true, it almost always is.
Yea it’s almost like they do the government a favor and sell them below manufactured cost, that’s always been my experience with government contracting!!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea it’s almost like they do the government a favor and sell them below manufactured cost, that’s always been my experience with government contracting!!
I'm assuming that is sarcasm aimed at the "massively overpriced government contract parts" line I said above (sorry, it's sometimes hard to distinguish sarcasm from other types of statements on the internet sometimes)

There is a certain amount of cost in manufacturing a part. In comparison to something like a Toyota Camry, the HMMWV market is pretty small, so the cost of designing, testing, and initial setup for manufacturing all have to be factored into the end product cost.
Then add onto that all the testing required to guarantee that the parts do actually meet the government specs. On some parts that can actually be somewhat expensive.

Parts sold directly to the public don't have to meet those same government contract specifications, but the issue is those parts usually can't be sold directly to the public without still meeting the contract specs, because of the risk of those parts being sold to the government through some other channel. If the parts get caught in the government inventory without the contract specs actually being met, the manufacturer can get into trouble and risk future gov contracts.

It isn't that they couldn't sell the parts straight to the public though a back channel and without verification testing, it just isn't worth it to a lot of companies to risk their guaranteed income from gov contracts and future contracts to risk selling such a low volume product to the public.

On the other hand, China and other countries have no qualms about reverse engineering a part, then producing it at a much reduced price because they don't have the same worries about income. They'll tool up a factory, make a large amount of a part, then sell them all off and move onto the next item, never looking back. If their part has massive issues, by the time anyone finds out, all the parts have been shipped over here and it's not their problem. If the buyer here does run out of parts to sell, and the parts from that manufacturer were really bad, China also has no qualms about relabeling all the parts/equipment to come from a "different" factory or company when reality is it's all the exact same crap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks