• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strang cunking noise in M1009 steering

tklm539

Need a little help. I apologize for the un technical description to follow...

I have noticed a slight clicking noise when I turn the wheel left or right when parked or barely moving. To make matters worse, when I turn to the right at very low speeds, I occationally get a clunk out of the front drivers side. It sounds as if it is coming from the steering.

At speed, above 15mph, no clunk or clicks. The truck steers and tracks fine. I have looked all around the front end and see nothing bent or broken. In addition, I have looked at the steering and it seems to be tight to the frame. There is no rust or corrosion, so it seems unlikely that something would have rotted out.

Any advice would be helpful. The noise is really grating on me every time it happens.

Tom

scooter01922

Could be a CV joint going. They tend to make odd noises at low speeds while turning if they are on the way out. The loud clunking while turning also points to CV. Not sure how bad they are to change on a 1009 but i had to do my saab last year at about this time. Perhaps it was the cold or the snow but they were a bit of a female dog.

ida34

Did Paul put in Urethane sway bar bushings? They make noise like that when they are dry. Crown Victoria do it all the time until the bushings are greased. Just a guess as I know Paul put in a lift kit. As for the cv joint, the M1009 does not have them. They have u-joints at the wheels and they will only make noise if the front hubs are locked in and the u-joints are messed up. Were the hubs locked in when the truck made the noise. Also the u-joints will not make noise if the truck is not moving.

Chuck

wlcharm

My M1009 has a noise in the front end it fills like it is coming from the Lt. side. I have changed both tie rod ends, Rt. ball joints, both u-joints and still have it. My next thing to replace is the tie rod ends on the small tie rod on the pitman arm. Might ck it first. Most of the parts I changed looked like they were original parts.

tklm539

I am not sure about the bushings, but I can say that they have grease fittings on all the ball joints. That may be a good place to start. I will try to grease everything up in the morning and see if it helps. All the joints look good. From the condition, I think Paul repaired or replaced most of the front end.

No the front was not locked in.

Other than the noise, nothing seems wrong.

I will try the grease and see. Thanks for the info
Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks