• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange Clattery Sound from engine at acceleration?

Jack Lope

Can anyone identify this strange clattery sound? It seems to be getting louder or I'm just noticing it more. You don't have to watch the whole video, but you can hear it in the video. It seems to happen upon initial acceleration. When it's in park, and I rev it up, it still clatters, but not as loudly as when I'm accelerating.
When at higher RPM's, I don't seem to notice it as much, but maybe it's because it's masked by all the other noises.

Any suggestions? The oil is good and freshly changed. So are the belts.

When idling, it sounds great.

[edit] new video and update in post 18.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFowLD_U3uI

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you checked the harmonic balancer for dried out/missing rubber?

SteveUK

I'm no expert - but have you checked your dog's head conversion?
LOL :lol:

PS I'm going to get my ears examined as I thought that sounded sweet compared to my M1009

Barrman

I really couldn't hear anything bad. I thought there might have been a metalic click type noise a few times.

If so, check your flywheel to torque converter bolts. One of them could be loose and hitting the starter nose cone under hard acceleration. One of my M1009's did this when I first got it.

Jeepsinker

Sounds like the flywheel is cracked. Get the motor warmed up then hold the brakes and stand on the throttle and see if it does it. You could also have loose or missing torque converter fasteners.

epitts

Try adding lube to your fuel,my 09 was real noisy with ultra low sulfur fuel. I added outboard 2cycle oil to each tank made a big difference. After you check for lose bolts.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the flywheel is cracked. Get the motor warmed up then hold the brakes and stand on the throttle and see if it does it. You could also have loose or missing torque converter fasteners.
It's called a flex-plate with automatics and in the TM's.

PETE BALLARD

The dog did not look too concerned, so - but after you check the other items and you still can't find the problem- it might be a good idea to get your oil analyised. It is a cheap check on your engine internals and usually is the first indicator massive problems that if you act quick they can be handled on the cheap side instead of when there is a rod hanging out the side of your block. Listening to your video i did not hear anything bad infact it sort of sounded a little NASCAR like.

Jeepsinker

I know it is called a flexplate, I've worked in the transmission business since I was 16. Most people know them as flywheels whether in an automatic or standard equipped vehicle, and being as the O.P said he doesn't even know what a harmonic balancer is I wanted to put it in simplest terms. I bet if you said crankshaft pulley he would know what was meant instantly. Not saying he is dumb or anything, just sometimes terminology goes a long way with people who aren't mechanically inclined. Cool? Once again, I mean no offense to anyone here.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know it is called a flexplate, I've worked in the transmission business since I was 16. Most people know them as flywheels whether in an automatic or standard equipped vehicle, and being as the O.P said he doesn't even know what a harmonic balancer is I wanted to put it in simplest terms. I bet if you said crankshaft pulley he would know what was meant instantly. Not saying he is dumb or anything, just sometimes terminology goes a long way with people who aren't mechanically inclined. Cool? Once again, I mean no offense to anyone here.
Yeah but when looking in the TM for the flywheel on a CUCV they will never find it . It's better to teach them the correct terms.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And a loose throttle cable rubbing up against the air cleaner housing

Barrman

I used flywheel to keep the terms generic as well. sorry.

Not just the power steering bracket, but also the bolts holding the pump to the bracket that work loose and rub against the pulley. I worked on a M1010 that had that problem.

It isnt a common problem, but it could also be a bad motor mount causing the cooling fan to hit the shroud. Obviously, there are a number of things it could be. A few post up it is suggested that you push the throttle while holding the brake. That is a real good idea. See if you can cause the noise while sitting still and then you can narrow it down.

Iceman3005

I hear the sound almost all the way through video except when your idling, it gets faster/worse with rpm. I would say check torque convertor to flex-plate bolts, flex-plate to crank bolts, or a rod knock, it is too slow of a knock and to load to be a valve. definitely can hear a clatter-knock type noise.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rattle noise

Have you re-torqued everything? Mine still sounds worse than yours on the video but the audio online is deceiving.

I have made things quieter just by touching all my nuts with a wrench. It's best to go through a step by step process from the manual so you learn a preventative maintenance (PM) routine and don't miss anything. Real good to know how tight different size bolts need to be but once you find a loose one you can check specs in the manual. Cheap, logical place to start when you begin troubleshooting these chariots. You get to know them and if you want to be anatomically correct the manual gives you all the correct part names.

My last rattle was a loose nut on top of the 'air cleaner housing'. Took a minute to find and a second to fix. I have found u-joint bolts, wheel nuts, bumper bolts, ring gear nuts, valve cover bolts and lots of other things loose after I bought gear. Had a steel belly pan fall off a brand new Terex track machine that the tech forgot to re-torque after a Pre Delivery Inspection. It's best to try and know every nut on your toy and don't trust the last guy.

Take a ride in the 1010 and you can hear you are in good company.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADOUjR3bABE

Time for everyone to do a "Spring Nut Check"..

Jack Lope

Was driving yesterday and it felt like a hard shift into 2nd or 3rd gear. Since then, it seems the clatteryness has stopped. Then, was driving later that night and thought I heard something fall off the truck. You can hear it in this new video. I'm starting to wonder if maybe the car in front of me was breaking down. He seemed to be driving slow. Either way, the truck engine noise seems much more quiet now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwkFEFrlgHc

Last edited:

Barrman

Where in Texas are you? If you are close to the College Station area, come on out to the Rally this weekend. There will be at least 3 6.2 trucks there and probably more.

Somebody years ago started a thread asking about 6.2 noise. The reply asked if it sounded like a bucket full of lawn mower parts in a dryer? It did. The reply to that was they all sound that way. Hearing some others and letting us hear yours might be worth the trip is my point.

Jack Lope

I'm in the DFW area, so College Station would be a few hours away. It would be awesome, but I'm not yet sure the truck would make that distance yet. :) It looks like there is an M1009 not far from my house, so I need to go meet that guy.
These engines make some strange noises, so it's hard for me to tell what is normal. This is my first diesel and first 4x4 so I'm a complete newb around all of it.
I watched a bunch of youtube videos of people posting strange sounds from their 6.2, and mine sounds pretty good compare to all those, so I"m not sweating it right now.
I need to find that checklist that talks about lube order and bolt tightening that everyone seems to keep mentioning.