• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange CUCV Gen 1 light issue

ranchhopper

I was going through the search to see if any of the threads covered the generator 1 light issue occurring with the 1009 and none quite matched up. As its gotten colder when I start the truck the gen 1 light lights up when I hit the accelerator the charge gauge jumps up into the green but the light doesn't go off it will gradually fade to a light glow but not go off. I checked and no bad wires or fusible links the only thing different is when the lights are on both turn signals light up on the dash its done that since I bought it from bad grounds in the light sockets. Now the left turn does not light up anymore when switching on the lights the light will brighten up when hitting the accelerator after it fades a bit I checked the battery cables all good there strange that the gauge shows a good charge on the gauge. I don't own a multi meter so I have not checked voltages I supposed I should get one with the electrical issues these trucks seem to have.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Time for an alternator rebuild.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alternator rebuilding is not difficult.

Your voltage regulator is the likely issue.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use an impact to remove the shaft nut.

The rest is simple hand tools.

If you replace bearings, do not hammer them in without "backing" the housing or it may break.

Pay attention to the locations of the washers/spacers/ and insulators.

It's 100% covered in the TM (-20 iirc).

Once you have done one, it takes less than 30 min to do them.

Here is one of the multiple threads covering it. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?146703-CUCV-Alternator-Rebuild Found in the FAQ/ Wiki, or whatever we call it, in the cucv forum stickies.

Last edited:

sneekyeye

If you're up for rebuilding your own alternator, you really ought to tackle those light sockets with the bad contacts too. Back feeding electrical currents can cause all kinds of annoying problems that could pile on each other and seem more serious than they really are.

Milkman357

Generator #1 is the Passenger side Alternator?

Oil pressure light and Gen 1 light stay on after I turn off the engine. Pulling fuses do not make the lights go out.
The left indicator light on the dash also has not worked for awhile. ( may not be related)

This kills the battery.

I have a back up / parts M-1009 to swap alternators with....

Generator 1 is on the Drivers side?
Sounds like I should clean and check the terminal connections first.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks