• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

strange lockout hubs

jepsonjj

While looking at a parts truck (M37), I noticed that it had strange lockout hubs. These were not the typical twist type. They had what looked like two pins that were parallel with the axle. The pins had levers that seem to be used to disengage the pins. Anybody know what these are? Were they good lockouts?
Should I try to buy them?

Thanks,

Joe

Verkstad

I know them well they are fitted to one of our old trucks, But Their brand name escapes me !!
Very simple and heavily made, Easy to use but the actuating levers can get sticky and will need a screwdriver or similar to pry it loose from its keeper to allow it turning to the locked or unlocked position, I guess 43 years, they have a right to be fussy sometimes.

One thing be sure both levers get turned to the "locked" position or else only one of the locking cams is engaged to the internal drive flange.

rgds,
Jakob

Jones

One outfit that made them was Warn. Cutlas made some that needed a coin or screwdriver to turn. The lever types are better for ease of opertation. There were probably others.

Militoy

One outfit that made them was Warn. Cutlas made some that needed a coin or screwdriver to turn. The lever types are better for ease of opertation. There were probably others.
I haven't ever heard that Dualmatic had any connection to Warn Industries. Dualmatic has been making the Dual-Matic flip-lever hubs since at least the late 50's. In the early 70's, Wynn's International bought Dualmatic, and then merged it with Bestop to form Wynn's Automotive Products in 1982.

I have run several sets of Dual-Matic hubs on early Jeeps - and just like any other hub, they will definitely jam if they don't get decent maintenance. I've had to pry out the levers with a screwdriver on a couple of occasions, and flip them with a pair of pliars to get them to work. No magic here - just an 'old school' design with a little bit of a different accuation mechanism.

m376x6

I haven't ever heard that Dualmatic had any connection to Warn Industries. Dualmatic has been making the Dual-Matic flip-lever hubs since at least the late 50's. In the early 70's, Wynn's International bought Dualmatic, and then merged it with Bestop to form Wynn's Automotive Products in 1982.

I have run several sets of Dual-Matic hubs on early Jeeps - and just like any other hub, they will definitely jam if they don't get decent maintenance. I've had to pry out the levers with a screwdriver on a couple of occasions, and flip them with a pair of pliars to get them to work. No magic here - just an 'old school' design with a little bit of a different accuation mechanism.

Yes, Dualmatic was part of Bestop, out of Boulder, Co as I recall. They used a two lever type actuator. The outer diameter was larger than the center holes on the wheels, anyway the ones I had were. Had to remove the hub to remove the wheel and tire. The outer housings were either aluminum or some sort of pot metal and would stretch and eventually fail. I broke one under light load and sold the other one to a chap who wanted a pair. I don't think they are very good, considerably less strong than the AVM/Superwinch hubs on the market now. I don't believe Dualmatics are made anymore, or for quite awhile. Selectro (still made) and the many variations of that model no longer produced are the strongest available. I've never had or used them, but have heard great things about the Warn hubs that used to be made for the Dodges.

Somebody mentioned Cutlass, they were here in Colorado in Lakewood. Used to sell them Jeeps parts and transmissions before they went out of business. They made the best hubs I have ever seen. Incredibly strong. I don't recall them making any for the 1 3/8" 16 spline shaft and bolt pattern that fits the M37's and the various early Power Wagon series.

I used to run the AVM/Superwinch hubs until I went to 20 inch and 11.00-16 tires on my trucks. The hubs couldn't take the stress and would break. I've since switched to Selectro and haven't had any problems since.

Regards,
M376X6

Elwenil

I also have seen Warn hubs with the two lever design. I also recall a Warn advertisement for those style hubs. I think they are mentioned in Moses Ludel's Jeep Owner's Bible.

Maverick1701

**zombie thread**

Dualmatics are AWESOME!! I am hunting a set for my M38A1 at the moment.
If you replace yours with WARN models, the dualmatics go for a pretty penny on certain auction sites.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks