Strange noise - but from where?

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

mutt_r

Last Saturday I drove 80 miles with the Goat. No problems. On Sunday, after 1.5 miles of driving, there was a noise which I never heard before. I stopped and made a walkaround. Nothing to see. Shafts okay, engine oil level okay, cooling water level okay. So I continued my drive - with no noise. All gears went in easy. After a quarter mile the noise returned. I stopped again, checked the Goat. Nothing. Went home, jacked her up and still cannot find anything.

I was driving in 2x2 not 6x6, I have no PTO or winch installed.

All gears can be inserted neatly.

I am at a loss. What can cause this noise? What should I check?

mkcoen

Not that it's necessarily your noise but check the fan belts. I lost the engine on my Goat letting someone else drive when 1 belt gave out and took the 2nd with it and overheated things frying the motor.

mutt_r

Not that it's necessarily your noise but check the fan belts. I lost the engine on my Goat letting someone else drive when 1 belt gave out and took the 2nd with it and overheated things frying the motor.
Thanks a lot for the hint. But the belts are not the problem. Both are there and in good condition. And they go around when the engine is running.

m38inmaine

I had the retaining clip break on the clutch release arm, it would hit top of the bolts on the pressure plate, took me a while to figure it out, may be worth a look.