• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange noise - but from where?

mutt_r

Last Saturday I drove 80 miles with the Goat. No problems. On Sunday, after 1.5 miles of driving, there was a noise which I never heard before. I stopped and made a walkaround. Nothing to see. Shafts okay, engine oil level okay, cooling water level okay. So I continued my drive - with no noise. All gears went in easy. After a quarter mile the noise returned. I stopped again, checked the Goat. Nothing. Went home, jacked her up and still cannot find anything.

I was driving in 2x2 not 6x6, I have no PTO or winch installed.

All gears can be inserted neatly.

I am at a loss. What can cause this noise? What should I check?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not that it's necessarily your noise but check the fan belts. I lost the engine on my Goat letting someone else drive when 1 belt gave out and took the 2nd with it and overheated things frying the motor.

mutt_r

Not that it's necessarily your noise but check the fan belts. I lost the engine on my Goat letting someone else drive when 1 belt gave out and took the 2nd with it and overheated things frying the motor.
Thanks a lot for the hint. But the belts are not the problem. Both are there and in good condition. And they go around when the engine is running.

m38inmaine

I had the retaining clip break on the clutch release arm, it would hit top of the bolts on the pressure plate, took me a while to figure it out, may be worth a look.

mutt_r

Hi Mike,

Yes. It was there, sudden. After stopping and continuing driving, it came back. I have the engine at a shop for Detroit engines at the moment. They checked everything but what they found is not the reason for the noise. Perhaps it is the trans or gear box?

Best regards
Richard

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The transfer case is know to loose prime and cause upper shaft bearing failure.

mutt_r

Some progress ....

Because of all the oil in the bay, I had the engine at an engine repair shop for Detroit Diesel in Nuremberg, Germany. The engine came home with new gaskets all around, a new NOS radiator, a new NOS clutch disc and the blower was changed (I had a used one here in better condition). Before and after the engine was on the engine test stand and finally I got back the engine with fresh paint. Looks better then the old girl now :cool:

The engine is back in the bay and runs great.

An open issue is still the noise. We installed a clear tube at the oil pump for the transfer case. While the Goat idles, there is oil flow. So this is not the cause. Also the oil level was okay.

We checked the gear box oil. No traces of metal abraison. We filled it up with some oil, but not much.

Next to the center differential. It is a little bit wet with oil but not that much. Also the oil level was okay.

So we made another test ride with the Goat and tried to figure out what went wromh last year ...

mutt_r

The result of the test drive ...

We found the source of the noise.

On the carrier's drive shaft there is a bearing in a rubber block. This bearing has broken down into its components. I found a new one that is now waiting to be installed. Unfortunately, the damaged bearing also affected the yoke and its components. I have already contacted Blake from Red River, unfortunately he no longer has a yoke in stock. Does anyone have any idea where I can buy a yoke? If not NOS in a good used condition?

Is somebody here having a picture for me, how this bearing and the rubber block are looking like? I am not sure if the rubber block is still in good condition or also damaged. The bearing goes thru the hole of the rubber block and than I have a finger's width air between the bearing and the inside of the rubber block.

Thanks,
Richard

mutt_r

Do you have a part number from the TM 9-2320-242 34 parts book? That would help me look through my stuff. Thank you
Hello ust2447vt,

Sorry for the late response. Here comes the yoke assy P/N 11601566 I am looking for (issue July 1976 TM -34P , figure 107, item 2).

Would be great if you have one for me.

Thanks for taking a look,
Richard

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks