• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange power loss

msoumas

I was driving my M1009 home from work today, stopped at a light, and when I went to take off, the engine started to go and then seemed to stumble and lower RPMs for a while like it was trying to "push" something to keep going, and after a few seconds it went back to normal. It happened a few other times from a stop, though not every time. I can put it in neutral and it will rev fine every time, but when it's in drive it suddenly is acting up like this every now and again. Any suggestions as to what could cause something like this?

msoumas

Wow... I'm having a hard time understanding how it could have been OVERFILLED, if anything. The only time I have put it in anyone else's hands between the last time I checked the trans fluid level and now was with a mechanic who I believed knew what he was doing enough that something like this couldn't happen. :roll:

Is there any way to drain some of the fluid out without a vacuum pump, or will it be easier to just take the pan off and refill? Either way, how much transmission fluid should I expect to put in there for a fresh fill?

msoumas

Oh, and another symptom... reverse seems to work ok until I try to back up an incline, and then it seems like the engine is pushing but it won't go. Could the high fluid level be the cause for that?

crusty

If you need to remove fluid via the dipstick, a boat mechanic will have the pump setup you need. I think I would just drop the pan though to check for debris or contamination if I didn't know how it got overfull. (Might have water in it)

Jones

If you have a paper element in the fuel filter it can become saturated with water and that will keep fuel from passing through. If it's partially clogged it may run at idle or under no-load conditions but not if fuel demand is up for any length of tiime.
By all means drop the trans. pan and see what's going on as far as the extra fluid is concerned. If it's overfull due to water then you need to track down the source. If just from mechanic error then bring it down to the dip stick reading. A fresh filter is a great idea as long as you're there. Trans. pans don't have drain plugs so that us lazy guys won't just drain and refill. If the filter is clogged then the trans. won't get fluid to work the valve body and clutch packs; but more importantly, won't have adequete flow to aid in cooling the trans. components.

msoumas

Shiny transmission fluid is never great. At any rate, the new fluid and filter seem to have helped, but it still seems sluggish off a dead stop and on hills. Fuel filter is next... maybe all this other stuff just exacerbated the symptoms of the main problem?

msoumas

CCATLETT1984 said:
shiny trans fluid? not good. did you see any junk in the bottom of the pan when you pulled it?

I love having a drain plug in mine, makes for no mess when its time to service the trans.
There was a little bit of sediment, no big pieces of debris though.

msoumas

New fuel filter, same story. It seems to have made a *slight* difference, but the main problem is still there. Still no power under load.

msoumas

CCATLETT1984 said:
hate to say it, but sounds like the trans is slipping. that debris was the friction material from the clutches
I don't know.... the transmission seems to be shifting normally, and when I called the fluid "shiny", it probably wasnt as bad as I made it sound. It doesn't feel like it "slips".... more like the engine just doesn't push where it should. Sometimes I can break it free of this by flooring the gas, and then the engine revs a bit higher and starts to go more closely to normal. But from a dead stop it usually doesn't really want to go.

msoumas

CCATLETT1984 said:
either that or a weak front pump.
That was a possibility someone suggested. If I turned up the fuel and it cleared up some, that would isolate the problem to the pump, correct?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks