• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange power loss

msoumas

Yeah... definitely transmission after all. I had some loud scraping sounds earlier today, drove it on the highway for a little bit and it seemed fine there... and then when I got off the highway it finally seemed like "slipping" to me. I pushed and the engine would rev but the truck didn't want to go. Getting back on the highway to limp home wasn't good either, it dropped out of gear a few times there. The last few miles off the highway were mostly composed of me shifting it into 2 just to get the truck to roll, while cursing out the drivers in front who had made me lose my momentum. The smell of burning transmission fluid in the morning is a sure way to ruin the rest of your day.

Assuming I have never fooled around with transmissions, how hard would it be to swap one myself? Is there an idiot's guide version of swapping out a TH400?

CCATLETT1984

tranny jack is almost a must, makes it SOOO much easier. you have to pull the transfer case and transmission as a unit, so its a bit awkward. two guys can pull one in about 2hrs, its not bad. Biggest pain is getting to the top bolts on the bell housing, need a 12" or 18" extension with a wobble to get them easily.

msoumas

How about a rebuild? Assuming I bought the rebuild manual, would this be something that would be a fun, interesting challenge with some learning along the way, or am I more likely to mess everything all up, considering my current lack of knowledge of a transmission? Also, would the $99 rebuild kit that AutoZone stocks have everything I should need, or would I likely need extra parts?

CCATLETT1984

um, get a master rebuild kit from a TRANSMISSION SHOP, NOT A PARTS STORE.
http://www.drivetrain.com/TH400.html

You can get a nice book and video and do it yourself, but as cheap as these are to have rebuilt by a pro..... A rebuild should cost you around $400 while he has the trans apart you may consider getting a stage 1/2 shift kit and having him install it. you can firm up the shift so the trans doesn't slip as much during shifts.

msoumas

CCATLETT1984 said:
um, get a master rebuild kit from a TRANSMISSION SHOP, NOT A PARTS STORE.
http://www.drivetrain.com/TH400.html

You can get a nice book and video and do it yourself, but as cheap as these are to have rebuilt by a pro..... A rebuild should cost you around $400 while he has the trans apart you may consider getting a stage 1/2 shift kit and having him install it. you can firm up the shift so the trans doesn't slip as much during shifts.
The first transmission shop I called quoted me for around three times that. Guess it's gonna be a matter of finding the right shop. :?

msoumas

Lowest I got was $600 for a bench rebuild. I also found a good 700r4 for $350, but I assume the parts/labor to fit that in there will cost me more than the rebuild on what I have.

msoumas

CCATLETT1984 said:
thats not a horrible price, be sure that includes flushing the torque convertor (or rebuilding it) otherwise that crap will get into your nice new trans.
They should for their own sake, I get a 1 year warranty on the transmission with the rebuild. :D

choll

I had a transmission go onme 3 years ago. I changed it my self, at a friends shop with all the proper tools and lifts,took about 5 hours. I picked up a rebuilt at auto zone for arount 475.00. Still working great with 55000 on the new trans.

msoumas

Got her back today... man, I never knew how quick this truck could be off a stop. :shock:

Next up is some exhaust work... I'll make a racecar out of her yet. 8)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks