• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange Start

kingsley

Guys,

Had a stange startup this morning. Turned the key, waited for the glow plugs to clear the "wait" light, and finished the key turn only to hear the typical dead battery click. Turned the key back off and repeated to a normal startup. Any thoughts or whether this could be a sympton of a on coming problem?

I appreciate any help.

Kingsley

Jones

Sounds like a bad ground or dead spot on your starter commutator, worn brushes or on the solenoid contacts.
Not the easiest to find on the hardware store circuit but these guys are invaluable in making a good ground. Clean spot to bright metal then put one against ground, apply ground lead. then one under nut or bolt head. Repaint to keep out moisture.

Attachments

acetomatoco

Starters sometimes get a little lazy, but it might be the starter relay under the dash by the STE/ICE connector, they are prone to fail in many modes....they usually stick engaged though... and burn up the starter and drain the batteries.

kingsley

starter

I was thinking about installing a battery disconnect in case the starter does stick. I also thought it might make a good theft deterrent.

I will certainly replace the relay next week. Thanks for the advice.

res0wc18

RE: starter

does gm still supply the starter relays under the dash you all are talking about? I think i need one.Also these are what cause the starter to stick on correct? If i replace this will it solve the problem of the starter sticking? I just picked up a new gm starter so i should replace this. Is there anything else i should replace to do with the starter considering i just spent 150 bucks on a new starter, i want it to last.
parker

Westech

CPL
the started relay in on the steering column. there is a steel rod that come down from the key and pushes it down. 99.9% f the time is a bad spot in the starter Bendix.

res0wc18

all you guys in california must love the fact that chevy has a huge cucv parts deposit there. it seems everyhting i order from them comes out of california and takes 5 days to get here. I ordered that starter relay under the dash for 35 bucks. and just for giggles i went to a-zone to check out the ac-40 and they had it in stock and said it was for a air condintioning system. but a relay is a relay. anways looks real close to the chevy one but has an extra prong. im hoping the chevy one is of better quality since i paid 3 times as much and i still dont have it in hand.

parker

Jersey4x4

the starter relay number is AC Delco15591718 and is available from any parts store. I just bought one today thinking it was my glow plug problem and it is not. It was $11.67

ida34

The relay that usually sticks is the one that converts the 12volt connection from the stock ignition switch and converts it to 28 volt for the starter to engage. It is right next the the relay for the volt meter also. They are under the dash near the bottom of the column. Mine sticks every once in a while. Usually turning the key off helps. Today it did not and the starter kept going no matter what the ignition switch did. I got out and hit the bottom of the column near the relay and the starter immediately stopped. I will replace mine as soon as possible but the corrective measure might help anyone else having a runaway starter situation.

res0wc18

so wait im confused. there is 2 critical relays inside the cab then? the one under the dash that is part number 1559178, and another critical relay under the steering column? Whats the part number to the one under the steering column? my starter is doing a runaway situation and i want to replace all the critical/ prone to failure relays that are associated.

parker

gt1009

The autozone relay is seven dollars and works exactly the same. I have one in my truck and it works perfectly. Part number is AC40 and it will show up as a blower motor relay but it is the same thing.

res0wc18

from ida34-The relay that usually sticks is the one that converts the 12volt connection from the stock ignition switch and converts it to 28 volt for the starter to engage. It is right next the the relay for the volt meter also. They are under the dash near the bottom of the column. Mine sticks every once in a while. Usually turning the key off helps. Today it did not and the starter kept going no matter what the ignition switch did. I got out and hit the bottom of the column near the relay and the starter immediately stopped. I will replace mine as soon as possible but the corrective measure might help anyone else having a runaway starter situation.

what part is he talking about then? i got the part that is the same as autozone ac40, but what is the part IDA34 is talking about?

Jersey4x4

res0wc18 said:
from ida34-The relay that usually sticks is the one that converts the 12volt connection from the stock ignition switch and converts it to 28 volt for the starter to engage. It is right next the the relay for the volt meter also. They are under the dash near the bottom of the column. Mine sticks every once in a while. Usually turning the key off helps. Today it did not and the starter kept going no matter what the ignition switch did. I got out and hit the bottom of the column near the relay and the starter immediately stopped. I will replace mine as soon as possible but the corrective measure might help anyone else having a runaway starter situation.

what part is he talking about then? i got the part that is the same as autozone ac40, but what is the part IDA34 is talking about?
He is talking about the same relay that is not on the column it is under the dash behind where the cici fm radio would be. it is a metal relay with a molded plug and 4 terminals. 2 are 12v and 2 are 24v it does not convert the voltage it uses 12v to close the relay and send 24v to the starter solonoid. It is the part number as I have above and it does not cross to a blower relay even though it moght work it is not the same. All I can say is if you question it replace it with the exact part when available. GM used this relay for a reason the did not use the blower relay. Possibly the amp rating for the contactor inside? Blower motor is 10 amp starter is way more then that.