• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange Startup Sounds

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had my Deuce for 2 years now and always started right up and ran great. The last three times I started it, it starts fine and then stalls after about 15 - 20 seconds. I crank it 2 to 4 times without success and then wait about 15 seconds and it starts up fine. Today I noticed that there is a squeeling sound at the front of the engine and I thought it might be a water pump bearing going bad. I turned off the ignition switch and before I pulled the stop handle, the sound stopped. While it was still running, I turned the ignition switch back on and the sound came back. Turned it off and it went away.

I checked the belts and they look fine and the in-tank fuel pump is making its normal sound. Any suggestions?

I have also started to get random blasts from the horn without pressing the horn button. I will gladly take suggestion on that one while you are at it.

TWM

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The squealing is your alternator belts. Your cranking it more than normal, and it's draining your batteries more than normal. It's common.

Is it doing the stalling cold, or after it's been warmed up also?

The horn wire may be chaffed at the bottom of the steering column, or inside it. Inspect it.

cornrichard

Sounds like you have more than one problem. The alternator belts are probably loose. When you turn off the master switch you take the load off the alternator. Sound goes away.
The starting issue sounds like air in the lines. One of your flex lines probably has a hole wore in it. Park over some cardboard. Turn on the master switch. The lift pump will purge and the leak will often show itself.
The horn is more of a mystery. I suspect the wire that runs up the inside of the steering column has a bare spot. I would just disconnect it an see if the random horn issue goes away.

lbatlas

Today I noticed that there is a squeeling sound at the front of the engine and I thought it might be a water pump bearing going bad. I turned off the ignition switch and before I pulled the stop handle, the sound stopped. While it was still running, I turned the ignition switch back on and the sound came back. Turned it off and it went away.

I checked the belts and they look fine and the in-tank fuel pump is making its normal sound. Any suggestions?
TWM[/QUOTE]

I had this problem as well. I bought 2 new, matched pair, alternator belts and that solved the problem. The originals were really stretched and worn.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DH, the stalling only occurs at startup when the engine is cold. I have BatteryMinder hooked up whenever the vehicle is parked so the batteries are strong. Should I tighten the alternator belts?

I will trouble shoot the horn per the TM. If I disconnect I know it will not make a sound. Got plenty of cardboard and I will look for a leak.

Thanks,

Flyingvan911

Try giving it a touch on the gas when cranking. Hold the gas for a few seconds until the engine smoothes out. If that solves it, you might need to adjust the IP. I think it is the droop screw that adjusts the fuel at idle. I could be wrong so check the TM.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may have a leaking return line allowing air in the fuel system. It could also be a fuel filter housing gasket leak.

Yes, tighten your belts a little more.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you tighten the original return lines, you typically make the leaks worse. New line with inserts, is the way to go(if you do have an air leak). The old lines do crack, as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks