• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strength of m105 trailer bows for roof top tent

richcz28

I have a m1028 that I am sectioning a m105 trailer to create a bed. I currently do not have the trailer bows for the trailer bed, and I have never had the opportunity to see them in person. I am looking to make a rack to hold my roof top tent. I am wondering how strong the original bows would be if I found a set. Could they be used for this purpose? They would have to safely hold 500 pounds across what I'm guessing would be only three of the bows.

Thanks

RedHeadTarn

Mine were 30 year old wood with metal corners, I wouldn't trust it past about 150 lbs, plus there was some front to back play that would lend itself to instability, if you're looking to do what you want, I would recommend all metal bows, shouldn't be too hard to have made, I'll take a picture of mine tomorrow for you.

richcz28

Awesome, thanks! I did not know they were wood bows. When I was surfing the internet I think I saw metal bows. Maybe they were for a newer trailer. That may also explain why I saw some elbows for sale at different surplus sites.

I wonder if I could grab the elbows and some rectangular steel tube to replace the wood and avoid the cost of having pieces custom bent. Would the elbows support a decent amount of weight?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can find some metal bows from a generator trailer, they may could be made to work. They are much stronger than the wooden M105 bows but still aren't strong enough for a huge amount of weight.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The new metal bows work for the 101 and the 105. I have a set and I don't think I'd trust a tent on them. You might look into making some custom ones that are more stout.

TAMU86

I have a M105A3 with the new metal bows... These are not robust to hold any loads other than the canopy safely.

Have seen M105's and older versions at Overland Expo which had fabricated bows (cage) to hold fold over tent and other cargo... A great setup. The cargo section had roller shelves for kitchen, coolers, etc. that made a very functioning setup.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks