• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stretch's used oil centrifuge

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got a couple batches run. PM you addy Bjorn, and I'll send some to ya.(don't worry about the shipping).

Okay, some may see this little invention of mine as a good idea. If I had to do it all over again, I would have built the motor driven centrifuge over the oil driven one. This darn thing is finicky, and has required all my patience to get the bugs out of it and running right.

So far I've lost 2 motors. Both were used, but its a pain. Had a hose blow. That was partly my fault, forgot I had the heat bypassed on, and turned the pump off. It got really hot and degraded the hose. Turns out the barrel I was using had some kind of plastic coating in it, that degraded and clogged the suction line. That little thing took a while to figure out. Then the mess I've managed to make is a pain. Lost the rotor to overpressure when it clogged with the plastic pieces in the drum.

If you do decide to use the dieselcraft or other fluid driven design, a couple of pointers. Biggest thing is make sure the oil you use has the big chunks filtered out so the centrifuge doesn't plug. It's not too bad, heck a 200 micron filter would be enough.

Be sure to install a pressure relief on the system. If the system plugs, and your typical pump is set at 1500 psi, things will break. The pressure relief on the pump doesn't work well at 100 psi, lowers the volume too much, so I installed a pressure relief on the pipe. I'm running the pump at more volume than the centrifuge can handle, with the relief set at 100 psi, it just takes the extra and dumps it back.

With all that said, it runs pretty good now. Filtering some hydraulic oil right now, not much coming out of it.

Dennis

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stretch44875 said:
I finally got a couple batches run. PM you addy Bjorn, and I'll send some to ya.(don't worry about the shipping).....
Dennis
PM sent.

As soon as I have the samples, I'll send them in and it usually takes two weeks to get the results, which I'll post on this forum.

Srjeeper

beaubeau said:
Ok if some one must filter Used motor oil, which I have never done in 20years, and I have had No proplems running used motor oil in any of my diesels. The old way of doing it is as simple as having 2 buckets, whether 5 gals, or 55 gals,. Put one container obove the other, use a piece of Manilla rope, stick it in the top bucket and the other end in the lower bucket. Create a Siphon so oil flows from top bucket to bottom bucket along the Rope.. Amazing how clean the oil will be in bottom bucket when done. I used to do this back in the 60s and reuse the oil in my car.Don't need a College" degreeser" for this!!?? Never lost an engine in my life!! Never had problems running used oil in my diesels! Just have to change fuel filters more often. Good Luck, no matter how U do it. Phil
beaubeau, do you run yours mixed with regular gas or diesel, and at what ratio :?:

beaubeau

Srjeeper, I have been running about 30% Off Road Diesel, and I have been using any used oil I come up with. I have been cutting up old vehicles on the property, and draining everything in 5 gallon pails. I know all is clean, so I just put in the Deuce. Just be sure it is clean and no water. Anything that goes through 3 fuel filters will go through the rest of the system. I have changed the Primary filter only once in 8 months. Truck runs good. I run used oil in my 2006 Duramax also with no problems. I only run about 10-15 % IN THE Duramax. There are people who change oil in there vehicles every 3000 miles. That's clean oil!! I have been running old gass in the Deuce also.
Good Luck, Phil

ems4ty

Nice setup Stretch! Just don't let HazMat or the FD take a peek for a while... 8)

Now if I could only make a reasonable Hydrogen on Demand system for my M35 Gasser.... Hmmmm.... :cookoo:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haven't forgot you guys, went to send it and they yelled about my packaging, it's still in the truck. I'll get it repacked and sent.

rickf

beaubeau said:
Ok if some one must filter Used motor oil, which I have never done in 20years, and I have had No proplems running used motor oil in any of my diesels. The old way of doing it is as simple as having 2 buckets, whether 5 gals, or 55 gals,. Put one container obove the other, use a piece of Manilla rope, stick it in the top bucket and the other end in the lower bucket. Create a Siphon so oil flows from top bucket to bottom bucket along the Rope.. Amazing how clean the oil will be in bottom bucket when done. I used to do this back in the 60s and reuse the oil in my car.Don't need a College" degreeser" for this!!?? Never lost an engine in my life!! Never had problems running used oil in my diesels! Just have to change fuel filters more often. Good Luck, no matter how U do it. Phil
I had seen that done in Mexico about thirty some years ago, I guess it is still feasable today! Everybody wants everything right now, so this is slow, it is damn near free!
Rick

superburban

Beaubeau,
What is "manilla rope"? I must be a young-un, because I have heard of manila envelopes, driven through Manila, Utah, and even spent some time in Manila, Philippines, but I have never heard of manilla rope.

(I suspect that I know exactly what it is, but just call it another name.)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
superburban said:
Beaubeau,
What is "manilla rope"? I must be a young-un, because I have heard of manila envelopes, driven through Manila, Utah, and even spent some time in Manila, Philippines, but I have never heard of manilla rope.

(I suspect that I know exactly what it is, but just call it another name.)
Manila rope comes from a Philippine plant (Musa textilis) of the banana family
It is a strong, tough fiber from the leafstalks of this plant, used for making high-quality rope, paper, clothing, etc.

Look at this link and scroll down a little and you will see manila rope. http://www.lehighgroup.com/fiber.htm

ygmir

I've been trying the "rope filter" for 3 weeks now.........although it does work, I've only gotten about a pint of oil...........either it's really slow, or, as usual, I'm doing something wrong......

HEnry

pa.rich

So you rig it like a drip on the rope? I NEED PICTURE! Sounds good I have lots of used oil, And 40' of manilla 1" rope. As the bucket goes down in amount the siphon will still work? How about a 5 gallon tank with a valve to drip the used oil on the rope? I must go to my garage and experiment. :twisted: I am new to this oil filtering and it has picqued my interest. Question : On your oil filter, does it need pressure to go thru it or will it just go slower with only gravity? Or will it not drain thru at all? Pardon my primitive questions. I would be interested in a gravity system for garage use, summer only. Give me your two cents.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks