• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strip Lights inside generator

devilphrog

I was thinking of installing white led strip Lights inside of my generator, tied to the panel light circuit. Figure if I could light up the housing in the engine bay and around the generator head I could do spot checks for leaks etc. during operation at night. What do you think?

devilphrog

I was thinking the same thing as well, but was brainstorming about keeping things self contained within the unit. I figure it would be a 20-30 dollar project all in

Demoh

Agreed, a roll of 12v led strip lights are cheap and readily available, either run 2 chains in series or find 24v lights. My only complaint about those lights is the adhesive so I always try to affix them mechanically.

devilphrog

No idea, haven't even looked yet at the circuit, got other projects going on. It appears that a 24v strip light pulls around 40 watts of power. I'm assuming that the circuit should have that available as I converted the panel bulbs to led from incandescent bulbs. More research on my behalf needed

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought about doing the same thing.

My plan is to run an inline fused wire from the positive battery cable at the starter to a switch mounted inside the engine compartment, then to two LED lights, one on each side of the engine compartment, and a RED indicator LED through a spot on the outside wall to indicate lights on.

I would avoid hooking it up to the panel light circuit only because I would keep the panel lights on when the generator is in use. No need to energize the inside lighting if not needed. By connecting at the positive battery terminal at the starter(WITH A FUSE IMMEDIATELY AT THE CONNECTION) there is no worries about the amount of current drawn by a couple of multi LED lights.