• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stripping an Aluminum comm box

Greensteel37

I have a S-89 comm box that I am trying to strip. I have the safe aircraft stripper....do you guy use a sander or what to get this stubborn CARC off without marring the aluminum skin?

Last edited:

armytruck63

I would use the stripper and avoid the sander. I don't know if there is any anodizing or other coating on the bare aluminum, but sanding would probably ruin it.

I have a friend who restores aircraft and they have a slick blaster that uses crushed dry ice as the media. The chunks of dry ice just evaporate and all you have to clean up are the paint flakes on the ground.

Another reason not to sand CARC is that true CARC is fairly hazardous stuff.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just be careful with any dust. Breathing CARC dust is bad.

It's a pretty sizable job trying to remove CARC. Is there a reason you can't just paint over it?

Greensteel37

There is one coat of what looks like CARC on it and it's peeling. I am reluctant to just paint over it and have it look like crap. Since I'm using stripper, the dust factor isn't there (the M116A1 trailer I'm stripping is another story) just the amount of time it takes to get that one coat of paint off with a putty knife.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks