• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

stripping paint from gauges??

Pablo66

So, the previous paint job was a bit on the "sloppy" side, and they didn't mask off the gauges very well... I'm repainting the hmmwv 383 green, and want the gauges to look better than what I'm currently working with.... Is there a paint stripper that I could use on the gauges that will not mess with the plastic?

Thank you for the assistance!

Paul

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ruined some gauges with aircraft paint remover. I would try the polishing materials that are used to clarify auto headlights.

Nonotagain

Depending on the plastic used on the gauge face, DOT 3 brake fluid will remove CARC paint from the face without hazing the lense.

Acetone will have no effect of cured CARC.

The only other fluid that I know of that will remove CARC is Skydrol (a phosphated ester solution).

A cotton swab dampened with your solvent choice in an inconspicious location would be my best advise.

ryan77

Acetone will haze the plastic! Can u scrap it off with a razor blade! Carc is tough paint! If there that bad and your painting them i would replace the really bad ones!!!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMHO the best solution to remove scratches and paint is wet sanding...: starting with 500-grit paper, then 1000; 1500 and up to 2500. Then car polishing compound (Tourtle Wax or similar)...

G.

WhirlingSun

Ditto on the brake fluid. As a kid I would build scale models a lot. If I got tired of the paint job I'd pop it apart and dip the parts in brake fluid - it'd be bare plastic again.

It generally takes a few hours to lift the paint, if it's really warm out, it works quicker.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did quite a few of these with the same problem. sit down with your favorite beverage:beer: and some very sharp exacto blades and carefully scrape the paint off. it comes off very easily and as long as you don't drag the blade, it won't scratch it. Patience my friend, Patience...

Pablo66

I did quite a few of these with the same problem. sit down with your favorite beverage:beer: and some very sharp exacto blades and carefully scrape the paint off. it comes off very easily and as long as you don't drag the blade, it won't scratch it. Patience my friend, Patience...
Turns out this is what I SHOULD have done.....
I used the brake fluid, and it took quite a while, but the paint came off... Unfortunately the lenses hazed over.
I tried a polishing wheel and the compound used to fix headlights, with no luck.

Anyone know where I can find replacement gauges at a reasonable cost?

Thanks!
Paul

Woodsplinter

Pablo, back in the day we used to restore hazed lenses on emergency lights (police, fire, etc) by spraying them with clear lacquer.
If your lenses clear up when wet, this will probably work. Don't know how the brake fluid affected the plastic on your gauges so you might test this on a gauge that's shot anyway.

Woodsplinter

If it doesn't work I would check the usual sources like Erik's Military, Saturn Surplus, eBay, etc.
I replaced all the gauges in my A2 deuce and got them all from Erik's as he had the best price several months ago.

135gmc

You might have luck with one of the polishing kits they sell for headlights - I used the 3M kit with my drill, and they came out great. Now, the only thing I'll use for paint overspray is an Exacto knife

steelandcanvas

Once you get the paint off, or get new gauges, and if you ever decide to paint again, this tool is the proper way to mask you gauges:

Specialty Paint Mask Stencils

The Knucklehead I bought my first Deuce from, masked the gauges with plain masking tape and left it on for months in the Sun. Needless to say, the stuff was impossible to get off the gauge faces, I ruined a few of them trying to remove the tape with a razor blade. The glass just flaked off on the blade. Hope this helps you next time.

Last edited:

lavarok

To clear a hazed lense, wet a cloth with mineral spirits or other solvent and rub the face quickly in a circular motion. When the hazing starts to clear and before your solvent starts to dry, STOP. Repeat as needed.

I screwed up a few gauges trying to remove paint and the above method allowed me to put them back into use. If you time it right, the plastic will be near perfect when finished. It might take a few tries, but it does work.

Pablo66

Once you get the paint off, or get new gauges, and if you ever decide to paint again, this tool is the proper way to mask you gauges:

Specialty Paint Mask Stencils

The Knucklehead I bought my first Deuce from, masked the gauges with plain masking tape and left it on for months in the Sun. Needless to say, the stuff was impossible to get off the gauge faces, I ruined a few of them trying to remove the tape with a razor blade. The glass just flaked off on the blade. Hope this helps you next time.
Thank you so much for this link! I was going to use masking tape, knowing that it wouldn't be ideal, but I didn't know of any better ideas...
I'll be ordering a set of these soon....

Paul

Keith_J

I've been able to dissect the crimped style sealed case gauges and remove the crystal. This is for gauge repair but would also work for crystal swapping. Or polishing.

I use a small screwdriver to start to open the crimp, then move up to small pliers etc. To recrimp the bezel, cut a hole in a stout piece of hard wood and then use a small punch and mallet to get the crimp started, then finish it closed with another hardwood block with the right sized hole in it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks