• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Structural differences in 5-ton tractors vs 5-ton wreckers

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are there any non-specific structural differences between the 5-ton tractors and 5-ton wreckers out there, in the same series? For instance, if you had a M52 tractor, and you wanted to convert it to a M62 wrecker, would all you have to do is remove the 5-th wheel, drop on a wrecker bed/crane, and change the data plates? If so, why don't more people do it?

m139h2otruck

Different rear suspension, no springs on the wreckers. Not sure about wheelbase, tractors and dumps the same. Maybe the short cargos and wreckers are the same? The long cargos, the tractor/wreckers and the bridge trucks are all the extra long wheelbase and I'm not sure but they all may be double frame (I know that the bridge trucks and the long cargos are).

TheBuggyman

m139h2otruck said:
Different rear suspension, no springs on the wreckers.
Really? The wreckers don't have springs? Do they use something like the modern cement mixers do? Do they ride bad? I know that is a relative thing in this forum but how does it compare to say, a M813?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a "beam" where most of the rear springs go on the wreckers. There is however a couple of springs with this beam. So there is some suspension movement. But not much. Are you sure the wheel base is the same for both? My M52 looks shorter than a wrecker at the museum. Mabye the bed makes it look longer.

pa.rich

I noticed that the wrecker and tractor whellbase looks the same, as the cargo trucks, but the chassis are cut off even with the back edge of the rear tires. Correct me if I am wrong.I own a M51 dump and a M 211 cargo, and I havent measured, but the wheelbase sure looks the same.Someone get a tape out!

papercu

frames

I had heard about double frames on the wrecker. I checked the parts book for the M809 Series and the Frame assembly for the Bolster, logger, cargo and chassis are the same. The wrecker is different and the dump is different. Wayne

lacoda56

RE: frames

On the M39 series the dump and tractor have a 167" wheelbase, the cargo, dropside cargo and medium wrecker have a179" wheelbase and the expansible van, long cargo, bridge, tractor wrecker and bolster truck are 215" wheelbase. The medium wreckers have a rigid walking beam suspension and a double frame.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wrecker and the tractor definitely do not share the same chassis. With regard to how the wreckers ride, I think they are probably a better ride than the other 5 tons because of the extra weight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks