• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck Glow Plugs

m38inmaine

Well, I guess I got two bad sets of Wellman 070 plugs, my 1009 I use for plowing lasted two cycles and my daily 1009 lasted 3. Two are stuck in the plow truck, so much for non swelling, will remove the others tomorrow from the daily. Called IND USA and there might be a bad lot, they are sending two new sets right out. Some of the others that came out are swolen on the tip but not enough to prevent removal. I ordered a glow plug removal tool, hopefully it works, I tried vice grips and prying with no luck. Of course they are the two back ones on the drivers side, steering and hoses right in the way. Just had to vent, thanks for listening.

Westech

CPL
you should make sure your controller is not stuck on. Strange to have "lots" of bad plugs. Been in the Auto buzz for 15 years and never seen that before. One and twos yes but thats about it.

underdog

I hear... Have not tried myself but surely i will.
You can loosen the the glow plug as much as possible.
Then put an old blanket over that part of motor, and let the compression blow out the offending glow plug.

Last edited:

lavarok

I hear... Have not tried myself but surely i will.
You can put loosen the the glow plug as much as possible.
Then put an old blacket over that part of motor, and let the compression blow out the offending glow plug.
I read that somewhere too, but yikes, that sounds scary. I don't think I'd be brave enough to try that.

I had some swollen plugs on my m1009, but with some silicone spray, vice grips, and lots of patience I was able to get them out. While pulling, I applied a steady counter-clockwise rotation. I read that if they do break, a shop vac comes in handy to remove the broken bits. Pull the corresponding injector and use the vac to suck that broken bit right out. Of course, it could be complete nonsense, but it sounds reasonable.

acmunro

I picked up one of the OTC split nut style glow plug pullers. Worked great. I tried using vice grips and such and could not get 2 out of my M1008. The puller worked very good, they came right out. Can't beat strait steady even pulling action.

m38inmaine

The plugs in the daily M1009 all cam out, not swelled but all burned out, two seperate trucks, same plugs, perhaps it was a full moon. Put some used ones back in the plow truck, well atleast 6 anyway and she sterted right up. Ordered the tool yesterday, will report on how it works.

acmunro

Mine were all burned out, two in the back of the motor were stuck. It was this way when I purchased it. I bypassed the resistor asm on the fire wall and am just running the GPs on the front battery. The GPs looked like they were just replaced by the previous owner, but fried.

JWNathan

Hey all. Could someone point me in the right direction where to get a GP puller? I have several stuck in mine and need it to get to work, hahaha! thanks for any help, been frantic all afternoon trying to come up with something!
-Jesse

l1a1man

i had 7 out of 8 swell on me. The removing tool came in real handy. I over heated them cranking the engine. My fault.

Dieselsmoke

Hey all. Could someone point me in the right direction where to get a GP puller? I have several stuck in mine and need it to get to work, hahaha! thanks for any help, been frantic all afternoon trying to come up with something!
-Jesse
Gots one here at the shop.

l1a1man

Forgot to add. Be careful when using the tool on the rear drivers side last two plugs, if you are not straight they will break. Ask me how I know. :oops:

JWNathan

Thanks boys, made one myself, took a die nut, cut it and then used a hoseclamp. worked good with the flat of a wrench to back it up. Still going to buy one just in case. thanks bill, almost called you up!
-Jesse

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had good luck with rotating them even after the threads disengage. The faster the better. A air ratchet or inpact spinning them while you gently lift and pull back will turn the high spots/ carbon off of them like a lathe. You will neede alot of patience too.

jdemaris

Well, I guess I got two bad sets of Wellman 070 plugs, my 1009 I use for plowing lasted two cycles and my daily 1009 lasted 3. Two are stuck in the plow truck, so much for non swelling, will remove the ning.

From what I've seen, the Wellmans are junk. I bought a bunch last year. Some for me and some I gave to my son. Every one of them was crap and it had absolutely nothing to do with bad controllers or excessive heat time. About the only plug I've ever come across that was worse was a Champion or an old Delco (before Delco switched to Beru).

Do your self a favor and put some self-protected, thermal limiting plugs in that Beru makes. Delco got smart, as well as GM and Ford. Any plugs you buy from them, regardless of what it says on the box, are now made by Beru. I'll add that if you ever use a manual push-button control, the Beru plugs are the only way to go - unless you like throwing your money away.

kc8oye

i'm scratching my head here just a bit.. glow plug removal tool?

the m1009 I work on.. the glow plugs had a hex on their body, and used a flat-blade type push on terminal.. so I just slipped a deep well socket down over the gp and they came right out... perhaps I was just lucky? (I had two burned out, but not swelled I guess)

this m1009 was used by a police dept then a private citizen.. so anything is possible!

ralbelt

KC sometimes the tip swells up so its larger than the hole, the tool is a puller that slides over the GP and with steady pulling force extracts the swelled plug. I haven't needed on yet but it does seem to be a tool that should be in my tool box.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks